Is my PHnlevel ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my tank cycle is very close no2/no3 both at zero ammonia is .25 but has a yellow tint to it, and I'm gonna get a fish and few inverts in there on Monday. My PH levels has been steady at 8.0 for over two weeks. I do plan on getting corals,Anemones etc, but I'm waiting at least 6months to even think about that. I already got the water good on calcium also. My question is...

~The PH level I have it at now is it safe for fish/inverts?

~If not how do I raise it? And what will work most efficient?

PS..I plan on having a Community fish tank I don't know if that helps my question some or no.

Thanks in advance.

What do you currently have in your tank? If your no2 is at 0 then you would be showing some nitrates which you are not. do you have anything in there producing waste/ammonia?

What do you currently have in the tank? Your no2 is 0 but so is your no3 which means there is no nitrite being converted into nitrate. Do you have anything producing waste/ammonia? A PH of 8.0 is acceptable. 8.2-8.4 is preferred for reef. Keeping up on water changes and keeping your water oxygenated should keep your PH at bay.

LaWoWee said:
What do you currently have in the tank? Your no2 is 0 but so is your no3 which means there is no nitrite being converted into nitrate. Do you have anything producing waste/ammonia? A PH of 8.0 is acceptable. 8.2-8.4 is preferred for reef. Keeping up on water changes and keeping your water oxygenated should keep your PH at bay.

All I have in my tank is 56lb of live rock and 60lb of sand. I did another test and still the same. Ammonia still at .25 with a yellow tint.

LaWoWee said:
Try placing a fat piece of raw shrimp for a couple days to see if it will spike the levels

The levels have spiked already ammonia went to 4ppm no2/no3 didn't spike to high. I also just tested my water and has a .25 reading of ammonia. This a bad thing that will effect my tank? I'm using tap/public water and I treat the water before I even put in tank.

Your aquarium isn't considered "cycled" until ammonia and nitrite are at zero. It would be preferable to add inverts when there is <30 nitrates (I added my CUC then and they are still alive and healthy). Yes your pH is acceptable for fish/some inverts, but you should bump it up. Wouldn't recommend adding fish or inverts yet and you don't have to wait so long to get corals. I waited a month after cycling (you can add corals even sooner depending on your cycle) when I already added fish and had 10-20 nitrates. Start w/ soft corals like mushrooms and zoas are hardy and easy to keep and work your way up to LPS and SPS if you have the correct lighting. You are correct about waiting 6-8 months until you add an anemone though. An anemone is an invert, not a coral btw. Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom