Is my RO filter busted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate C

Aquarium Advice Activist
Setup my RO filter (non-brand-name purchased at LFS) Monday morning. It is a 30gpd rated unit and I have it mounted onto the lid of a new/clean 33 gal trash can. It is just outside my patio door. I've been using it for a few weeks while my tank cycles and it has maybe 150 gal through it.

After 12hrs: The can was full. This seemed a little too quick. Also - My NH3/NH4 kit registered .025 - this straight out of the filter?

I went ahead and mixed the salt and let it stand overnight monday night, all day tuesday, then went out there this morning to see about doing a water change. When I opened the lid the can had aLOT of white spiderweb-type growths (algae?) criss crossing the interior of the can.

I was not gonna dump that in my tank, so I poured it out in the front yard.

My question is: Is the filter shot? -OR- did I just leave it outside too long?

Thanks.

Nate C

90G Live Rock only. 3rd week of cycle.

your readings from the filtered water should be zero or close to it. Do you have a TDS meter?

Also the white stuff was probably salt creep. Those garbage cans create a lot of static and the salt will stick to it. Next time just keep a powerhead in the can to keep the water moving and aerated. Get your specific gravity and temp right and do your water change. I like to aerate my water for 24 hours before a water change.

Good Luck

whew. That's a relief.

I will start mixing a new batch tonite and pickup a spare PH to run inside the can.

I don't have a TDS meter yet... I'll check around and see if I can pick one up.

and did you put the wats line in the trash can too? that has to be draining out side and that is all the bad stuff that the ro takes out. i am not calling you dumb or any thing but i just had an idea to why the levels might be higher.

The waste line was outside the trash can.

:)

(I did a double check as soon as the test results came in because I had the same thought myself)

The membrane on the filter needs a break in period. Discard the first ( I think 5- 10 hours of water). If the unit does not have a tds meter on it. Look for one on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom