Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Is my skimmer working?

I see that the bubbles are being created. It also pushes some foam to the top of the collecting cup. However the foam is very clear and it does not extract waste as it used to be. A thin layer of brown sediment is also forming on my substrate once every two days. From the bubbles creation the skimmer seems to be working fine. But is there a blockage or something that makes skimmer not to collect waster? How do I ensure that the skimmer is working? This is four months old Won brothers skimmer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2771_3_106.jpg (18.8 KB, 124 views)

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Still looks to me like you have no where near enough air being injected. The water should be milky white with bubbles. The DOC's stick to the bubbles which is what produces the "dirt". Very few bubbles = very little dirt.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I took it apart and cleaned it. it didnt help I guess. How long does a skimmer last? The mechanism within the skimmer is simple (IMO) with no moving parts or anything, I would expect my skimmer last longer than 4 months. Is this a sign that the skimmer broke and I should look for replacing it or is there something that I can make it work again?

The DOC's are pumped in by the powerhead right? Could there be some blockage in the powerhead that is not pushing enough DOC's? If that is the case I must replace the powerhead not the skimmer???

Thanks for trying to help me out...
aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've never had a skimmer body wear out. They can get clogged with debris or snails and o-rings fail after a time. Clean the body and check your pump for sure. Pull it apart and make sure it's clean inside. You can use vinegar to dissolve the white deposits if you find any on the impeller. Rinse it good afterwards.
I had a Mag3 pump give up after almost 4 years of constant running. I replaced it with a new Mag3 and I couldn't belive the difference in the amount of crud pushed into the collection cup. My old pump had been slowly dieing and I didn't notice it.
Steve - DFWMAS
92-gal Corner Bowfront: VHOs,PCs,LR,LS,Sump,Skimmer,Fish,Soft Corals,LPS (Born again 9-04)

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
you have an air valve or something that can be adjusted on the pump? I've a Berlin that has two items to adjust (Flow and Air Flow via tube w/screw for amount).

Usually playing with either will create more or less bubbles. You need the "FINE" bubbles to get everything.

You are getting foam, but it's not exactly what you want.
75gal Salt, 18gal Sump, Skimmer, 60lb Live Rock, 90lb Live Sand, 3 Pwrhd, 2x55w Actinic, 2x55w 10k. Guest list: Goby Green Clown, Percula Clown and entire clean up crew.
dscount is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com