Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is my tank ready for fishes? :)

Today is my 5 week of cycling and did my first test kit. 3 weeks ago I used the ray shrimp method to help create ammonia. I left the raw shrimp in there and now there no sign of it. Living things that are in there are Xania witch came with the live rock 3 weeks ago looking great and Aiptasia that came with the live rock as well about 30 pounds of live rock 37 gallon tank. Last week I added a peppermint shrimp to hopefully help with the Aiptasia but only seems to hide. I've been seeing little critter on my live rock for the past 3 weeks mostly at night.
Filtration equipment-----Ehiem canister filter, marineland filter,700 power head. Plan on getting a protein skimmer soon.
Test levels PH 8.0 Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 0ppm am I in the right track??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1709125131.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	132472   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3673095367.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	132473  

Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you test at all after adding the raw shrimp? You should have been testing to watch the spike in ammonia and then watch it zero out. Was the live rock actual live rock?

Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbix
Did you test at all after adding the raw shrimp? You should have been testing to watch the spike in ammonia and then watch it zero out. Was the live rock actual live rock?
Yes it's real I bought half of my live rock from a all fish store super expensive may i add and other half from a friend. No I actually didn't get to check for the spike that's the bad part :/ but I'm still happy to see that all critters in there are still alive including my two corals Xania and Aiptasia.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark The Kidd

Yes it's real I bought half of my live rock from a all fish store super expensive may i add and other half from a friend. No I actually didn't get to check for the spike that's the bad part :/ but I'm still happy to see that all critters in there are still alive including my two corals Xania and Aiptasia.
Anyone??
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would say if your numbers are stable like that for another day or two then you could add fish. I would still go slow and make sure to test after each add just in case you get another mini cycle.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbix
I would say if your numbers are stable like that for another day or two then you could add fish. I would still go slow and make sure to test after each add just in case you get another mini cycle.
I'm planning on testing until Monday and if its safe then I guess I'll have to assume its ready thanks for the reply.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com