Is my tank ready for fishes? :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark The Kidd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today is my 5 week of cycling and did my first test kit. 3 weeks ago I used the ray shrimp method to help create ammonia. I left the raw shrimp in there and now there no sign of it. Living things that are in there are Xania witch came with the live rock 3 weeks ago looking great and Aiptasia that came with the live rock as well about 30 pounds of live rock 37 gallon tank. Last week I added a peppermint shrimp to hopefully help with the Aiptasia but only seems to hide. I've been seeing little critter on my live rock for the past 3 weeks mostly at night.
Filtration equipment-----Ehiem canister filter, marineland filter,700 power head. Plan on getting a protein skimmer soon.
Test levels PH 8.0 Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 0ppm am I in the right track??

Attachments

• image-1709125131.jpg
    image-1709125131.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3673095367.jpg
    image-3673095367.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 88
Did you test at all after adding the raw shrimp? You should have been testing to watch the spike in ammonia and then watch it zero out. Was the live rock actual live rock?

chbix said:
Did you test at all after adding the raw shrimp? You should have been testing to watch the spike in ammonia and then watch it zero out. Was the live rock actual live rock?

Yes it's real I bought half of my live rock from a all fish store super expensive may i add and other half from a friend. No I actually didn't get to check for the spike that's the bad part :/ but I'm still happy to see that all critters in there are still alive including my two corals Xania and Aiptasia.

Mark The Kidd said:
Yes it's real I bought half of my live rock from a all fish store super expensive may i add and other half from a friend. No I actually didn't get to check for the spike that's the bad part :/ but I'm still happy to see that all critters in there are still alive including my two corals Xania and Aiptasia.

Anyone??

I would say if your numbers are stable like that for another day or two then you could add fish. I would still go slow and make sure to test after each add just in case you get another mini cycle.

chbix said:
I would say if your numbers are stable like that for another day or two then you could add fish. I would still go slow and make sure to test after each add just in case you get another mini cycle.

I'm planning on testing until Monday and if its safe then I guess I'll have to assume its ready :) thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom