Is my tank too close to my TV? Electric shock scares me bad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prissy...

I had set up tanks in areas where I didn't have any GFCIs. While I knew there was little chance of water hitting the outlets, just from location, I bought 5-outlet GFCI outlets that just plug into the regular wall outlet; picked them up at Lowe's, near where the extension cords are located. I haven't tested the power loss theory on these particular units but the package didn't indicate a need to reset.

the only time that i have been shocked by my tank was my own fault. i splashed some water on the wall behind my tannk. then without thinking about it, i leaned against the wall with my hand. well guess where that water dripped down to eventually? the wall outlet. its not a nice feeling, so a GFCI outlet/ plug is a must.

I have never had any issues or concerns with any of my tanks, and most had quite the twisted, sketchy electrical setup.
Mind you, I was shocked by my entertainment center last week, and barely felt a thing, other then a tingly feeling. A shock, unless its from your fridge, or washer machine, is never enough to harm you, and you shouldnt be nearly as concerned as you are.
Chances are, you're doing everything correctly, and that alone, should be enough to make you feel secure.
Do you feel iffy about reaching in your washing machine when its filled with water?

The best and safest thing to do is shut the electricity off when you are reaching in. 999 out of a 1000 you will be fine but it just takes once.

However, I would be more concerned with your tank placement. Not only is sunlight bad for all but a couple of very specific tank setups, it can also produce temperature fluctuations that you don't want.

Maybe someone already said this.. but i think all you have to worry about are those tiny bubbles at the surface of the water that when they pop, they spit water all over the place. My light fixture has salt creep like you don't even know from all of those little bubbles that explode water. But honestly.. my TV and my xbox and computer are all about the same distance from my tank as your TV is to your tank... and no water ever even comes anywhere near those appliances. IMO, you should be fine, contrary or in agreement to whatever anyone else has previously stated.

Thanks folks,

I bought the GFCI (plug in type). I did move my tank before filling so it is away from the window now. I'm coming up on week 1 woo-hoo!

5 more to go:D

Mind you, I was shocked by my entertainment center last week, and barely felt a thing, other then a tingly feeling. A shock, unless its from your fridge, or washer machine, is never enough to harm you, and you shouldnt be nearly as concerned as you are.
Chances are, you're doing everything correctly, and that alone, should be enough to make you feel secure.
Do you feel iffy about reaching in your washing machine when its filled with water?

I really wouldn't "poo-poo" the hazards of electrical shock/fire around saltwater tanks. (We are talking saltwater here... not sure if you realize that.) Having an electrical short with a SW tank and being "lit up" by it is a different ballgame than just grabbing the plug of your vacuum cleaner the wrong way and getting a little tingle.

Due to the salt creep around a SW tank (and it'll happen... no matter how clean/meticulous you are) salt will find its way to places you never imagined.

Being concerned about something that could potentially kill you, or burn down your house, isn't a bad thing.

Don't forget about the drip loop. That is the single easiest way to keep water out of your outlets. Basically you want to form a loop right before the outlet or power strip. That way if water runs down the cord it will drip off at the loop, rather than run right into the outlet.

I found a picture of what I am talking about. The cord clip is optional, I use wireties/zip ties to tie all my cords into one big drip loop.

driploopindoor.jpg

Continue with the scaremongering then....
can't go wrong with that!

Why is it scaremongering to suggest someone have a GFCI outlet for their fish tank?

Washing machines are designed to operate in a moist environment and are safeguarded as such. The analogy doesn't apply. There is no power strip on the earth that is designed for use around an aquarium. If you read the fine print on any power strip made, you'll find verbage that says that this device is NOT to be used around aquariums, and that basically don't sue us if you do and something bad happens. Unless you want to invest in an industrial grade, environmentally protected enclosure, electrical plugins around SW fish tanks are just risky things to begin with.

I'm not saying that you WILL experience a shock at some point in your fish keeping career - I've never been shocked myself. But I have had my GFCI trip many times in a row which led me to investigate further. Found a drip path that I hadn't realized was there, which led to a power strip. When I set things up, I did all my drip loops by the book and zip tied everything nice and neat. But in the process of doing some maintenance one time, one of the cords got hung up and didn't get in it's "home". While I wasn't shocked, if I didn't have the GFCI giving me warning signals that something was wrong, it could've eventually shorted and caused a fire.

If it's scaremongering to tell people to use common sense and spend $10 or so to protect themselves and their homes, then I'll keep doing it. I'd rather do that then have one person lose their life or home because I minimized the risks.

Back
Top Bottom