Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is my tank too close to my TV? Electric shock scares me bad!

I am completely terrified of electricity and will not even go outside if there is a chance of lightning. I think I have my tank far enough from my TV but I want to be sure. I also am buy this....

Amazon.com: Tower 30339015 5 Outlet 3 Prong Shockbuster Gfci: MSC Industrial Supply Co.

and I will turn everything off before putting my hands in the tank. My question is ...Has anyone here ever been shocked by their tank???

Here's my pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2884.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	20907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	20908  

prissysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

sorry! This posted as a brand new thread. Please moderator move this for me back to my original post?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
I think the distance is good enough, just that you don't wanna put your tank right in front of the water where direct sun light will be on the tank.
if u gonna paint or have a background, then with the curtain down, it should be fine.

I never get shock by my tank.
actually you don't wanna turn everything off every time you have to do something with your tank. it will scare the fishes every time your powerhead turn on and off, and turning your equipment on and off will shorten their life time.
or if u r really scare about getting shock, your LFS should sell somekind of gloves, or just search online for aquarium gloves ^^.
your equipments should be all water prove and should not shock you.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

they make a grounding rod that you can put either in the dt or sump that helps prevent electrical shock. If thats something you are really worried about, it may be worth the money for the peace of mind...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks,

Yes I will have a background. I was going to add that later. Probably just get blue aquarium paper.

Shock really does scare me though so I will have to think real hard on keeping everything plugged in while my hands are in there.....

Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
they make a grounding rod that you can put either in the dt or sump that helps prevent electrical shock. If thats something you are really worried about, it may be worth the money for the peace of mind...

Do you have a link or brand name? I can't do any drilling to this house because we are renting it

Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
These are the grounding probes I use:
Aquarium Safety: Ultra-Ground Titanium Probe

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by prissysmom View Post
Shock really does scare me though so I will have to think real hard on keeping everything plugged in while my hands are in there.....
With a SW tank and LR, I'd be more scared of what hitchhikers are hiding near my hands when I perform tank maitenence.. LOL..JK.. or AM I?

Seriously though.. Just get the grounding probe.. I doubt anything would ever shock you, but it's a good insurance for the health of your fish.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goisles1 View Post
With a SW tank and LR, I'd be more scared of what hitchhikers are hiding near my hands when I perform tank maitenence.. LOL..JK.. or AM I?

Seriously though.. Just get the grounding probe.. I doubt anything would ever shock you, but it's a good insurance for the health of your fish.

Hitchhikers beware..I have a Great Dane who loves seafood appetizers

Will definitely get that grounding probe

Old 10-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Changing your Outlet plug to a GFCI Plug is a better safety feature then a grounding Rod. The problem with the extention cord GFCI units is that they don't reset themselfs, so it the unit tripped it would have to be reset manually to get power back to your pumps and other equip. for your tank.
Also with just a grounding rod you may be masking a bigger problem.

Tags
electric, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com