Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is no cycle possible? NEW PIC.!

I just set up my Nano last week with Cured LR, aged mixed SW, and seeded my DSB with some sand from my 29gal.

I have been testing ever since and noticed a small spike in Ammo and Trites and then a few days later it zeroed out? My trates are running between 0-5 and everything else is perfect.

Is it possible that the little mini spike I seen was the cycle? If so would I be safe to add a few hardy corals to my tank? Or should I force a bigger
cycle?

Thanks,
Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you used cycled LR and there was no die off then you will not see a cycle. You may try and us a piece of shrimp in it to get some extra bacteria going. But IMO if you have enough cured LR there is no need to cycle the tank and it is ready for a fish.. I used 60 lbs of cured LR in my 55 and had a fish in there after 5 days.. I was making sure I had no die off... Thats whats nice about using cured LR no cycle because there is already bacteria on the rock...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That was your cycle, if in fact you used already aged/cycled rock... I would think your nano is ready for some of its inhabitants, slowly though . Good luck on the new nano!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

AWESOME ... I think I'm going to throw in my shrooms from the 29 gallon first!

Would I be able to keep an open brain in this Nano ... 48watts CF lighting?

Thanks,
Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I did the same thing with my 100gal.. used as much cycled water from my 40gal and 75gal as possible.. my cycle lasted 8 days..woohoo
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would add ne fish and see how it goes. Keep feedings light and an eye on water parameters for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I add fish first or corals? I read on nano-reef a lot of them prefer to add their corals first! I guess it wouldn't make much difference would it?

Thanks,
Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 07-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
zacdl

FISH!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would add one small fish to make sure your biological filtration is up and running.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was looking last night and there are pods everywhere, like lice in a dirty kids hair!!!!

I think I am going to add a ... correct me if I am wrong ... Citrus Clown Goby (there BRIGHT yellow)! My LFS has them and they are UBER cool! How are these fish with disease ... very prone? Are they Hardy fish! And is my tank big enough for one ... I would also like to add a purple firefish eventually!

Jermz

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002

Tags
cycle, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com