Is no cycle possible? NEW PIC.!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up my Nano last week with Cured LR, aged mixed SW, and seeded my DSB with some sand from my 29gal.

I have been testing ever since and noticed a small spike in Ammo and Trites and then a few days later it zeroed out? My trates are running between 0-5 and everything else is perfect.

Is it possible that the little mini spike I seen was the cycle? If so would I be safe to add a few hardy corals to my tank? Or should I force a bigger
cycle?

Thanks,
Jermz

If you used cycled LR and there was no die off then you will not see a cycle. You may try and us a piece of shrimp in it to get some extra bacteria going. But IMO if you have enough cured LR there is no need to cycle the tank and it is ready for a fish.. I used 60 lbs of cured LR in my 55 and had a fish in there after 5 days.. I was making sure I had no die off... Thats whats nice about using cured LR no cycle because there is already bacteria on the rock...

That was your cycle, if in fact you used already aged/cycled rock... I would think your nano is ready for some of its inhabitants, slowly though :) . Good luck on the new nano!

AWESOME ... I think I'm going to throw in my shrooms from the 29 gallon first!

Would I be able to keep an open brain in this Nano ... 48watts CF lighting?

Thanks,
Jermz

I would add ne fish and see how it goes. Keep feedings light and an eye on water parameters for a couple of weeks.

Should I add fish first or corals? I read on nano-reef a lot of them prefer to add their corals first! I guess it wouldn't make much difference would it?

Thanks,
Jermz

I would add one small fish to make sure your biological filtration is up and running.

I was looking last night and there are pods everywhere, like lice in a dirty kids hair!!!! :lol: :lol:

I think I am going to add a ... correct me if I am wrong ... Citrus Clown Goby (there BRIGHT yellow)! My LFS has them and they are UBER cool! How are these fish with disease ... very prone? Are they Hardy fish! And is my tank big enough for one ... I would also like to add a purple firefish eventually!

Jermz

Cool little fish, I have 1 in my 20 fuge... They are docile so make sure you are not adding any aggressive fish. and having 2 in a small tank may be a issue, they may fight.

I got a Yellow Clown Goby Friday night ... He seems to love the small tank! He has been cruising around ever since I put him in!

Question though ... is it normal for them to hang out on the glass? It's almost like he has suction the way he sticks to the glass?

Attachments

• p1010020_132.jpg
    p1010020_132.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 36
Oh and ... what is one other fish I can add with him?

Fish I was considering ... not all of them just 1

Yellowheaded Jawfish
Purple Firsefish
Percula
6 line wrasse

They like to perch on corals...
Fire fish would be good...
I had 4 yellow headed jaw fish in with my CG and they get along fine. Jawfish like sand beds with pieces of CC or shells. I bought a bag of cheap shells at a craft store and broke them up and put them in the tank for the jawfish. They use the pieces to make there home. They even had a door... Very cool fish and do better with more then 1 fish.

Cool!

Only now ... I GOT PROBLEM'S!!! Came in tonight after a trip to the grocey store and the lights were off. looked in with the flash light and WOW 8O there is something stuck to my fish!! Oh great Isopods. Well after catching the fish, removing it with tweezers and touching the little wound up with some antibiotic soultion I had handy, I FW dipped him for a few minutes and put him in my 29gal. He seems to be doing o.k. I think I caught that blasted Iso just in time.

I have decided to leave the cube fallow for 3 months and concentrate on just corals!

Which leads me to my next question ...

1. Can Cirolanoid Isopods live with no fish host? I'm positive it was a Cirolanoid!
2. Will they live off of my new corals I'm about to get Friday? Zoo's and shrooms!
3. Does 3 months fallow seem good? I've read 2 ... I've read 6!

Help me out here!

Back
Top Bottom