Is one strip light for a 37 gallon FOLR enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning a 37 gallon FOLR tank and I was wondering about the lightning needs for 20-30 pounds of LR. I already have a single 30" striplight with the original bulb, but this is probably not enough, is it?

I will replace the bulb, once I figure out which one to buy. Since I have room for only one, would it be better to have a 10000K Coralife High Intensity or a combination bulb like the Coralife/Reef Sun 50/50? Given that this tank is rather tall, I am leaning toward the 10000K, since higher temps mean deeper light penetration.

I was also considering a 29 gallon tank which has the same footprint. I would prefer the 37 gallon though, more water means more room for error. Would buying the slightly shorter (18" vs. 22") 29 gallon tank make any difference? Or should I just keep the original bulb, buy the bigger tank and give up the LR? :?

If it were me, I would look into a 10K 30" PC fixture, You can probably do a 65W 10K PC or a Smart light (50/50) and be OK for the tank your comtemplating. As for the size, personally I believe the 29 is a better choic and actually a 30 would be teer than that. The thirty will have more surface area than the other two and the 29 has more surface area per volume.

Back
Top Bottom