Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is RO water needed.

Hi. I currently have a 240 litre tank containing all male malawi cichlids. I ve always wanted to keep marine fish, so I ve decided that after I get married in June I'm going to make the plunge. In order to gain as much knowledge as possible between then and now I ve been reading as much on the subject as possible. One question I have is will I need to run the tank on RO water. It will be a struggle to find the place to install a unit and don't really want the extra cost of always buying 50+ litres every couple of weeks. Or can I not get away with ordinary treated tap water???

Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Personally I don't think it's worth the effort and maintenance to deal with non RO water.
It's just going to make it so much harder to have a great tank.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Couldn't agree more. If you can't get RO water I'd stick to cichlids. Using RO is that important. It's just one of the many expenses of going salt.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoor3773 View Post
Hi. I currently have a 240 litre tank containing all male malawi cichlids. I ve always wanted to keep marine fish, so I ve decided that after I get married in June I'm going to make the plunge. In order to gain as much knowledge as possible between then and now I ve been reading as much on the subject as possible. One question I have is will I need to run the tank on RO water. It will be a struggle to find the place to install a unit and don't really want the extra cost of always buying 50+ litres every couple of weeks. Or can I not get away with ordinary treated tap water???
I agree with what the others have said but if your only worry is about were to install one that is an easy fix.

Fact is you don't have to install it anywhere simply hook it up to the sink when you need to fill some buckets of water and store it in a closet when not in use, you can also instal them under a sink or near a washer hookup. Its really that simple.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

^This, plus the models that hook up to a sink can often be found for really cheap!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mine is under my kitchen sink. You can also use it for your own personal drinking / cooking water. Believe.me you won't go back to tap water again.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. How does the unit hook up to the sink.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It is best to have a RO/DI unit. RO alone is not good enough. It will take out some of the junk in tap water but not all. You can buy a faucet adapter to hook up to sink
Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
It is best to have a RO/DI unit. RO alone is not good enough. It will take out some of the junk in tap water but not all. You can buy a faucet adapter to hook up to sink
Ok. So I could just turn on the tap and hey presto RO water. Water so you recommend if RO water is not enough alone.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

RO Membrane alone will remove some stuff but not all the DI Resin will pollish it off. I have a TDS meter before and after my RO membrane TDS reads 86 going in and 77 coming out. Once it goes through the DI it reads 0. The unit I recommend is below.

BRS 4 Stage Value RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com