Is something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my tank. I added my salt adn then i put in my aragonite (sand). I have been letting it sit for about 2 hours but it doesn't seem to be getting any clearer. What should i do? Should I keep the PH, Skimmer, And filter running or should I turn them off? TIA

I would turn them off for a while. It may take a couple of days for the tank to clear all the way. Once it clears, you can restart everything. However, the skimmer won't do anything for a while because there won't be anything in there for it to skim.

Did you add a cocktail shrimp or LR to start the cycle?
The sand won't settle till it coated with bacteria. You need something in the tank to start the nitrogen cycle and get your bacteria growing.

Even with that my tank took a couple of weeks to really settle (300 pounds of sand)

Sure. Why not? Just a little hard to see the set up. I would have put the base rock in first though then the sand around it.

I just put the rocks in. It looks great! It's starting to clear up more. I turned on the filter and the pH to help it get going. I also got some water and sand from an established tank at my LFS he said that this would start the cycle is that true? Do i need anything else?

The water won't do anything, but the sand should help start the cycle. Were there any fish in the tank the water came from? If so I would not add any fish to the the tank for 5-6 weeks just to be sure there are no parasites.

Don't ever add water from a lfs to your tank if there were fish in the tank it came from.

cmor1701d said:
The water won't do anything, but the sand should help start the cycle. Were there any fish in the tank the water came from? If so I would not add any fish to the the tank for 5-6 weeks just to be sure there are no parasites.

Don't ever add water from a lfs to your tank if there were fish in the tank it came from.

Oh no! I am not sure. Did i mess up is it going to be ok? Do u think i should still add the cocktail shrimp?

If the water came from a tank that had fish in it, it is possible that it also contains the Ich or other parasites. As long there are no fish in the tank to act as hosts the parasites will die (for lack of a host) in 30 days.

So, add the shrimp to start your cycle and by the time your tank is ready for fish (about a month) you should be ok.

you didnt mess up. You can add the shrimp to start the cycle.
Just dont add fish for 4-6 weeks in case the LFS water has parasites in it.
You'll be fine!

Good luck, Great Hobby!

Back
Top Bottom