If we're talking a 35g (and I think we are, since you have 36 lb of rock!), then that light isn't enough to grow any type of coral.
Regarding your live rock... "live" just means that it has beneficial bacteria on it - the kind that convert ammonia to nitrites, and nitrites to nitrates. There's no way of knowing if rock is truly "live" before the fact. If you put an ammonia source (decomposing shrimp, fish food, etc) in there and let it decompose, and if you don't see any ammonia or nitrites, then you know you have "live" live rock - or also called "cured" live rock. After you cycle a tank, all rock is more or less "live".
As far as "live" meaning complete with hitchikers and free critters... that's a different story. All depends on the rock and how long its been out of water. If its dry, you're not going to find anything live on it obviously. But even if its kept damp with newspapers or towels for 24-36 hours, you'd be surprised how much stuff is still alive and will take up residence in your tank!