is there a 'best' salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
do all the brands of salt really have any differences...or should I just shop by price?

Are there any in particular I should steer clear of? I already bought a bucket of Instant Ocean (cuz of the free BioBlen food 'supposedly' inside)

Yep, there is always a "best" of everything, there are bargain basement salts that are not fit to gargle with, much less add live animals too. Which one is the best is sorely debated, and not something I would get into here. If you'll do a search, you'll see we have talked about salt quite a bit, look through those threads and decide which you should use.

phases99 said:
Stability is the key!
I definately agree with that part, not the IO though. :wink:

What ever salt you do end up choosing. Be sure you are not continually changing brands. Once you find one that works for you stick with it. Swapping back and forth can cause serious issues with coral health. FO systems shouldn't be that much a concern though.

Cheers
Steve

yep I figured using the same brand consistently DID matter, hence why I wanted to make sure I wasn't using a crappy one from the beginning.

seems like it took more than 1/2 cup per gallon to get the salinity to 1.025 at 80degrees.

Back
Top Bottom