Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by billberet
i'm with ya 100%
i take pride in my tanks, especially since they are mostly DIY.
DIY stands, Lights, Plants, Sump, etc.

i need a bench in front of my tanks so i can sit while i watch them.
of course you can see the salt tank, lol, it stands out!!!

here is the space i am limited to for my salt setup.
the doorway is on the left, and the 90gal is on the right, and the 40gal is above it.
Man that's a sweet looking wall!! I know what I'm gonna do when I get my own place!! That's just insane! Should be a magazine!
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
StiREEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
I have a 55g reef that has run for a year and a half with no skimmer. 20g sump with nothing but lots of cheto. Nitrate and phosphate is 0.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-608570788.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	119968
__________________

__________________
StiREEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiREEF
I have a 55g reef that has run for a year and a half with no skimmer. 20g sump with nothing but lots of cheto. Nitrate and phosphate is 0.
Is that an orange spotted sleeper goby??
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
StiREEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Diamond goby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-210607719.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	119971
__________________
StiREEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiREEF
Diamond goby.
Off topic but i used have one till my emerald caught it i loved it was a workhorse lol constantly sifting
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
StiREEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9
Yeah he never stops sifting. But back on subject I know most will probably not agree with me but I don't believe a skimmer is ever a must. There are other more natural ways to remove exes nutrients.
__________________
StiREEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiREEF
Yeah he never stops sifting. But back on subject I know most will probably not agree with me but I don't believe a skimmer is ever a must. There are other more natural ways to remove exes nutrients.
Depends on bioload if small than ya you could get away without one for awhile imo youll have some nutrients and algae at some point but if heavy bioload i think its a must this is just my opinion
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
billberet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 393
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

i have an emerald crab, he's always chewin up the long hair algae.
i am going to have a small bio load. i just want maybe 3 small fish tops.
and some anemones with a clown.

i'm trying to keep everything natural, and because i don't have much space for a skimmer. I have a coralife 65 in my sump but the collection cup fills up in 15 min!!! then it's flood time. I have the red dial turned fully open for max air bubbles but it's still running super wet. i have the pump for the skimmer at the bottom of my sump, maybe it's too deep and the air is not getting sucked down fast enough to create enough bubbles. i'll try some variations on pump height for the skimmer.
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
150gal FW, 90gal FW, 40gal FW, 20gal SW
billberet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
billberet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by StiREEF View Post
I have a 55g reef that has run for a year and a half with no skimmer. 20g sump with nothing but lots of cheto. Nitrate and phosphate is 0.

Attachment 119968
oh yea, if i can get my tank to look half as good as yours i'll be happy
nice job on your tank!!!
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
150gal FW, 90gal FW, 40gal FW, 20gal SW
billberet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by billberet
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

i have an emerald crab, he's always chewin up the long hair algae.
i am going to have a small bio load. i just want maybe 3 small fish tops.
and some anemones with a clown.

i'm trying to keep everything natural, and because i don't have much space for a skimmer. I have a coralife 65 in my sump but the collection cup fills up in 15 min!!! then it's flood time. I have the red dial turned fully open for max air bubbles but it's still running super wet. i have the pump for the skimmer at the bottom of my sump, maybe it's too deep and the air is not getting sucked down fast enough to create enough bubbles. i'll try some variations on pump height for the skimmer.
I run a coralife on my 55g what i did was drill the hole that the airtube connects to making it a lil bigger gets alot more air this way and works waayy better also sometimes i run hot ro water thru the airline while skimmer is on it helps keep buildup down but for sure drill that hole bigger
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.