Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
ok...a question no one seems to ask...what kinda set up do you want?
if you want just FO then you can go with something other then LR as your filter
I dont suggest a canister cause you'll be cleaning it alot - you can go with a wet/dry setup and replace the bioballs with LR rubble or mix it some LR rubble and the rest dead rock and that along with a PS you will get good filtering

no offence to these other guys but i disagree with the dont go cheap statement - if you shop wisely then you can get good LR and stuff at cheap prices

i went to ebay and happened to find a local guy sellin LR and dealt with him directly to get great LR for less then LR.com can sell and they are local to me...use the internet and shop....research

check my site out --> www.coppernreef.com
pearsont74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Fluff
Personally I like the idea of natural filtration with live rock but it's an individual choice.
Question, how do you filter out particles if you don't have mechanical filtration? The idea of natural filtration sounds good, but I don't understand how it works.

sdellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Particles of what?? I have 2 tanks with a sump set up on both with no filter pads and there are no particles in the water? The only time I have sand particles is when my eel redoes his home once a week and that settles out after a short time. If you have particles in the tank alot you need to figure out where there coming from and adjust that.
Running a filter to help clean the water is fine but there is no better filtration then LR. Natural filtration is more of the break down of nitrites/nitrates/denitrification not the actural "filtering" of water as your thinking.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
pearson - since he stated he was using live rock, I assumed FOWLR or Reef. If we asked every question possible, we'd never finish a topic

sdellin - with proper flow, and a skimmer, there won't be particles floating around...they'll be broken down by the DSB and/or removed via skimming.

if you have a particular issue with floating particles, you could add a small HOB filter to teh tank and run it as necessary. I do this with an AC Mini, to remove the layer of scum that sometimes builds up on the surface of my water, 48 hours prior to a water change.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think this is still on the topic...

I have live rock in my tank and a canister filter. The live rock is in a loose formation and about 1/2, maybe a little more, of the space in the tank is live rock (read about those two items in the articles). I'm understanding that I don't need the bio-media in the canister filter, but what I meant was, I use filter floss, to filter out particulate matter, and carbon, for whatever it does, in the canister filter as well. I have a protein skimmer and two powerheads for flow (plus the one with the skimmer). Are you all telling me that I can just get rid of my canister filter if I want? I don't really see particulate matter, but I'm a previous freshwater aquarist, so I just assumed that a filter was necessary.

Also, I have my 15-gallon Eclipse system with it's little filter pad that has carbon inside, but the guy who gave it to me was also running a flubal 104 with carbon, filter floss and bio-balls , so I just kept it set up that way. Could I nix the fluval canister and just use the setup that came with the Eclipse tank for my filtration? In that tank, I don't have much live rock, but I have a gramma, two very small clowns, a dragonet and a six-line wrasse, no inverts. (7.5 inches of fish recommeded by saltwater aquariums for dummies).

sdellin is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com