Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is there a way of filtering water with out so much live rock

Is there a type of filter I could use that would save me the movney of buying 100lbs of lr?

Old 06-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use mechanical filtration on your tank with hob filters or canister filters. I couldn't offer an opinion on one or the other since I use neither. Personally I like the idea of natural filtration with live rock but it's an individual choice. Also, you could look at base rock. It is usually half the price of regular live rock and serves the same purpose.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Get 50- 60 lbs of base and the rest live. Seed the baserock with the liverock and in a few months, you will have all live rock. There are all types of Canister, Hang on back, and internal filters. Usally these would work best on Fish Only tanks. With a reef tank you want the nitrates as low as possible, and typically these types of canister filters just force all of the waste into one spot. It never actually removes it. So now all of your "filtered" water has to run through where all of this waste has collected at one point or another inside of the filter. With regularly weekly maintanence this may work for you. But most people like the idea of a self sustaining mini ecosystem type aquarium HTH
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

where to get

might be a silly question...

any reputable place to get standard live rock?

on LR.com they have live base rock, but for the purposes of letting a small amount of live rock seed the non-live baserock, i think i was looking at the wrong thing.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard good things about http://hirocks.com/
Then you could get a bit of liverocks.com baserock and/or liverock.
Your base rock doesn't have to be live, it can be dry rock. The bacteria will colonize it over time.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

To do things right in this hobby you can't be cheap... LR is the best filtration we can get... I would look into base rock like the others suggest.. Or you can Buy a little LR at a time and just cure it in a garbage can then add to the tank if you can't get it all at once.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I second Sirlight's response
9 Watt UV Ster.
100lbs. Live Rock (Fiji,Tonga Br)
125lbs. Aragonite Base
Maculosus Angel~Yellow Tang~Flame Hawk~Canary Blenny~Pajama Cardinal~Bl Yel Tl Damsel~Brittle Star

10 Gallon Sea Clear Acrylic est. 7-05
Whisper HOB w/carbon+ 1 rio 400 PH
65 watt 12K PC
DSB + 6lbs. Fiji LR/2lbs. Base R
5 Bl Leg Hermits/ 5 Astrea Snails
1 Serpeant Star/ 1 Whte Burr Star
Leather Coral
Orange+Green Zoos
Growth of Halimeda
SALTYDAWGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm under hte impression that base rock is always dead rock...like the stuff they have at hirocks.com
Live rock is a general term that covers gulf rock, keyes rock, tonga, fiji...etc...any actual 'live' rock, pulled wet from the ocean/aquaculturing pools, and kept alive during transport. Liverocks.com is great for live rock. I've heard good things about hirocks.com but haven't personally used them.
The only thing about using a small percentage of live rock is that you MUST be extra patient, and stock slowly enough for the dead rock to become live...which is really about the same average time as cycling a new tank: 4 weeks. Coralline algae will take longer to form, so don't use the color of the dead rock as an indicator that it's alive.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did the base rock thing. I started with 40 lbs of base rock and put 8 lbs of lr in with it. Now it is all lr and I have another piece of base rock curing right now. The base rock is about 50% of the cost of lr at my lfs (plus the owner give me a police discount ). It is definitely cheaper, but it is slower, and patience is part of the hobby.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just another option, Make your own rock. It's cheaper than even base rock but it takes even more time. Has to cure at least 6weeks before you add to tank. Check out http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...er_052498.html and www.garf.org

Tags
filter, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com