is there any chance you could..............please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium

Aquarium Advice Regular
1-is there any chance to take salt water from the sea and put it in your tank and put fish in it or will they die and if u can do that do you still have to cycle it and is rocks from the sea live rock?2- if it is can you take it out and put it in your tank?and if so do you have to uncure it? 3-i read about uncuring LR but i still dont understand it can some1 please explain it to me....i dont wanna start a new tank without any knowledge to what im going to do....i have a freashwater tank but i know what to do with that its just i heard that salt water tanks are a lil more difficult....4-oh and one last question....could i use my freashwater water testing kit for a salt water tank or do i have ot buy another kit? please let me know about the questions i asked

aquarium said:
1-is there any chance to take salt water from the sea and put it in your tank and put fish in it or will they die
You can do it, but the water should be very clean and well-filtered.

aquarium said:
could i use my freashwater water testing kit for a salt water tank or do i have ot buy another kit? please let me know about the questions i asked
Some parameters may be interchangeable, but I am fairly certain that you will need a different pH kit. I have two at work...one for freshwater and one for SW. The kits for NH3/NO3/NO2 may be different as well.

Please read some more in the "Saltwater - Getting Started" forum and check out some books. This is a good one. The more time you put into your tank before you even set it up (reading and researching), the better off it will be when you finally do set it up, and the happier you will be. Good start coming to AA though. :)

Good luck!

-j

Hi, you are really starting from ground zero here. To answer your questions...

1-is there any chance to take salt water from the sea and put it in your tank and put fish in it or will they die and if u can do that do you still have to cycle it and is rocks from the sea live rock?

You can get water from the ocean, however natural seawater can have many bad things like pollutants. You would have to harvest the water fro many miles offshore to be safe, and even then it can still have nasties in it, and worse buffering capability from sythetic seawater. Stick with synthetic salt until you get the hang of things.

2- if it is can you take it out and put it in your tank?and if so do you have to uncure it?

You can not harvest tropical live rock in Connecticut so this is a moot point. You can go get rock right out of the water, if you have a permit to collect it, and live in a tropical area.

3-i read about uncuring LR but i still dont understand it can some1 please explain it to me....

Cured live rock is a simple way of saying the rock is "ready" to be placed in a fish tank. Most of the dead stuff on the rock is gone and the rock will be covered in living organisms. Uncured rock would experience a die-off when place in an aquarium, and could poison the water.

i dont wanna start a new tank without any knowledge to what im going to do....i have a freashwater tank but i know what to do with that its just i heard that salt water tanks are a lil more difficult....

I would say a lot more difficult :) But also more rewarding at the same time.

4-oh and one last question....could i use my freashwater water testing kit for a salt water tank or do i have ot buy another kit?

Some test kits will work for both freshwater and saltwater. Check the packaging for details. Also be aware that the typical marine tank owner buys better test kits than you would usually find used on freshwater tanks.

please let me know about the questions i asked

Just keep asking questions and do all the research you can. There is a lot to owning a marine tank. i suggest you pick up The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. The book is well worth the price and will save you more money than it cost. Some of the stuff in the book is outdated by a couple of years, but nothing major:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_books_corals_reef_marine_aquarist_clown_fishes_nra.asp?CartId=

Back
Top Bottom