Is there such a thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Our 40 gallon has finally cycled, but we are still trying to decide what to put in it fish wise, we know we are limited and we already have clowns in our 29 gallon, and would like to go something different, according to the calculator we can only have 8" of fish. Here lies our problem, why when shopping for fish couldn't you just put in the size of the tank you have and then all the fish that would "fit" come up and give you some idea, instead of looking through books or sites and seeing one you like only to find out it will end up being too big.

I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of list, it doesn't have to describe the whole information about the fish, just size and minimum tank for that fish and if it's agressive, then a person like me could do more research and be able to know what I'm limited to.

I hope you know what I'm trying to get at and I hope there is something out there like this.

Thanks,

Kaurene

I don't think such a list exists, the next best thing is to post here and let us offer some suggestions. I'll get back to this tomorrow after a few aspirin and some coffee
1037486075.gif

hahaha rr had a rough night. 8) yeah that would be really cool if there was such a list however i think it woud be VERY big and take alot of time to make.

Dr Burgess atlas of saltwater fish. Has all the things you outline. Of course my version of the atlas is 500+ pages with several fish per page.

Wow, hope my post didn't make you need the asprin. I was just wondering, I know it would make it a lot easier but I know it would require a lot of work, I know when visiting live aquaria they have the info about the fish and the Minimum tank you should put it in, it's too bad when you run a search on their site that you couldn't just put in your tank size and up comes all the fish. Oh well, back to trying to figure out what we like and what will work.

Thanks! :D

Wow, hope my post didn't make you need the asprin.

No, it was the 15 rounds with Jose during the Lennox Lewis fight that did that, all in all I don't feel too bad. Mostly my lungs hurt from all the smoke in the bar.

it's too bad when you run a search on their site that you couldn't just put in your tank size and up comes all the fish.

We just need to find someone with a lot of time on their hads to put together the database and then write the script to do all the cross referencing.

Wow, I know that would make a site a popular place! Now I'm not saying I have a lot of time on my hands, but I sure wish I could write script, I'd be willing to help!

Thanks again and hope you feel better, nothing worse than sore lungs, I used to live in the basin of California so I know what sore lungs feel like, fortunately we live near the beach now so the smog isn't as bad.

:crazyeyes:

Well I know someone that can write a script (if he is willing and feels upto it), what we would need is a list of fish and their sizes and minimum tank requirements, it could be something that the entire membership could get involved in, if it's doable. Perhaps, my partner (in all his computer guruness) would comment here, since he is the one that I'd ask to write the script.....

Uh oh, that's all he needs is more work! I was just curious don't want to make more work for anyone :oops:

after 15 rounds with jose i'd be hurting too.

couldn's we use something as simple as microsoft access? i guess i don't really know how easy that is to encorporate into a nice webbased database though...

hmmm even before I got down the mention of a database I was already thinking.. "it wouldn't be too tough to through together a quick database" heh

What database software does the site run on? throwing together a database design to house speciese, husbandry info as well as "user comments" regarding husbandry, breeding, feeding, agression, etc really wouldn't be very tough, getting thurough and accurate info INTO the database is another story. The best reasonable solution to that would be to allow user input to fill the database and have it "moderated" by as the messages are to verify/correct the data. although I have yet to work with php I would welcome the opportunity and would be more than willing to put forth an effort.

Back
Top Bottom