Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2003, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is there such a thing?

Our 40 gallon has finally cycled, but we are still trying to decide what to put in it fish wise, we know we are limited and we already have clowns in our 29 gallon, and would like to go something different, according to the calculator we can only have 8" of fish. Here lies our problem, why when shopping for fish couldn't you just put in the size of the tank you have and then all the fish that would "fit" come up and give you some idea, instead of looking through books or sites and seeing one you like only to find out it will end up being too big.

I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of list, it doesn't have to describe the whole information about the fish, just size and minimum tank for that fish and if it's agressive, then a person like me could do more research and be able to know what I'm limited to.

I hope you know what I'm trying to get at and I hope there is something out there like this.

Thanks,

Kaurene

Old 06-22-2003, 03:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think such a list exists, the next best thing is to post here and let us offer some suggestions. I'll get back to this tomorrow after a few aspirin and some coffee

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
hahaha rr had a rough night. 8) yeah that would be really cool if there was such a list however i think it woud be VERY big and take alot of time to make.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:47 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Dr Burgess atlas of saltwater fish. Has all the things you outline. Of course my version of the atlas is 500+ pages with several fish per page.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, hope my post didn't make you need the asprin. I was just wondering, I know it would make it a lot easier but I know it would require a lot of work, I know when visiting live aquaria they have the info about the fish and the Minimum tank you should put it in, it's too bad when you run a search on their site that you couldn't just put in your tank size and up comes all the fish. Oh well, back to trying to figure out what we like and what will work.

Thanks!
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, hope my post didn't make you need the asprin.
No, it was the 15 rounds with Jose during the Lennox Lewis fight that did that, all in all I don't feel too bad. Mostly my lungs hurt from all the smoke in the bar.

Quote:
it's too bad when you run a search on their site that you couldn't just put in your tank size and up comes all the fish.
We just need to find someone with a lot of time on their hads to put together the database and then write the script to do all the cross referencing.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, I know that would make a site a popular place! Now I'm not saying I have a lot of time on my hands, but I sure wish I could write script, I'd be willing to help!

Thanks again and hope you feel better, nothing worse than sore lungs, I used to live in the basin of California so I know what sore lungs feel like, fortunately we live near the beach now so the smog isn't as bad.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:30 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Well I know someone that can write a script (if he is willing and feels upto it), what we would need is a list of fish and their sizes and minimum tank requirements, it could be something that the entire membership could get involved in, if it's doable. Perhaps, my partner (in all his computer guruness) would comment here, since he is the one that I'd ask to write the script.....

Old 06-22-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Uh oh, that's all he needs is more work! I was just curious don't want to make more work for anyone
Old 06-25-2003, 12:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler
after 15 rounds with jose i'd be hurting too.

couldn's we use something as simple as microsoft access? i guess i don't really know how easy that is to encorporate into a nice webbased database though...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com