Is this a bunch of !@#$ or what ?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am so annoyed now that I can hardly think straight. I had just
gone to the bedroom to ask my husband to help me take that cover off the big tank so that I could do some algae maintenance and as we just began the process, the Aqualine Bushke Spacelight came down on my end and landed on the oceanic cover thingy! (it just frames the outside edge of the tank). If that would not have been there, I would have been barbecued to hell and back! or maybe not back.....

anyway, we checked it out closer and the factory "crimp" in the wire that holds it up into the ceiling mount, had come uncrimped. So much for german workmanship. Champion lighting was not open...probably a good thing. I dont know if I will ever trust this thing to hang up there again.

Ouch! Glad you weren't hurt, and nothing worse happened. That is sure scary though! Sounds like Champion is in for a "friendly" call tomorrow. 8)

You should be able to buy the crimps and a pair of crimping pliers at any industrial supply house. That way, you can crimp it yourself and know it's done right. Glad to hear that disaster was averted.

they are sending another cable unit and we should have it by Monday.....until then, no halides, just actinics.

good to hear they're sending a new cable assembly - are they going to replace that one bulb that's tweaked as well, or is it better now?

At the hardware store, they also sell cable-clamps of varying sizes, that work similar to the crimp on piece that holds the cable (in a loop I assume?)

the clamp looks kind of like a U-Bolt, but has extra metal pieces in it to grip the cable ... then you tighten it down with a wrench so you can be sure it's well fastened.

I've seen them as small as a dime, and as large as a mans fist - depending on how big a cable needs clamping

fwiw
Gordon

Back
Top Bottom