Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is this a dream??? kinda long...

I plan on setting up a 46 GAL bow front.LIGHTING: 36" 192W coralife,FILTRATION:Fluval 204 canister filter,Seaclone"100" protein skimmer.HEATING ETH in-line 200W ,with 2 Zoo Med power sweep #204 power heads. I plan on having a deep sand bed with live rock at first. During the break in period i will have 1 yellowtail damselfish but after the break in cycle i would like to add the fowling at a slow pace, FISH: 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 six line wrasse, 1 yellow watchman goby. CORAL and INVERTS: 4 scarlet reef hermit crabs, 4 dwarf blue leg hermit crabs, 4 electric blue hermit crabs, 4 bumble bee snails, 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 sand sifting sea star, 1 blue link sea star,brain coral,bird's nest coral(aquacultured),silver colony polyp(aquacultured),kenya tree coral(aquqcultured).Is this a dream for a 46 GAL or can it work???
tony

2 red tin foil barbs
2 kuli loachs
1 glass cat
1 pleco

46 Gal BF saltwater
(not setup yet)
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The damsel should actually be introduced almost last in the tank. They are aggressive fish and order of introduction does make a difference. Also, the blue starfish are very hard to keep alive. The purple ones are hardier. Your lighting is minimal. The bird's nest will do better in at least 230 watts. Small polyp stony coral like bird's nest coral need strong light.

For the most part, what you have listed should do fine. Order of introduction when dealing with fish can make a difference as I stated above. Lesser aggressives in first. An example using the fish you have listed I'd introduce them in the following order: Watchman, ocellaris clowns, six line wrasse, damsel.

equipment you have is good, though you may not even need the Fluval, but since you have it, customize what's in it to get the maximum usage for the system you have. I've read that carbon really shouldn't be in the filter all the time in a reef and you should use reef grade carbon for when you do. I believe Kent Marine has it. Run the carbon for a week once a month. You could fill the trays up with large crushed coral and it can serve to do a few things....help buffer calcium levels, helps to remove large waste debris, and because it's porous, makes for a good bio media. You will need to replace portions of it every once in awhile. It does degrade and needs periodic replenishment.

I have an 18 gallon mini reef and it's packed. It's been doing great for over three years now. The specs are in my profile. I'm careful with what goes in the tank and overall population depends on available territory.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
i would stay away from any SPS, unless you plan on putting a great amount of light on, and beware of the linkias, they're hard to keep, grow very large, and need lots of room

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Instead of cc in the fluval, use lr rubble. Less chance of nitrates building up. And put it in the trays. I tried to eliminate my trays and got lots of microbubbles. Good luck.
55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
Terry
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is good to have a plan. This keeps you on track and away from those impulse buys at the LFS. Just make sure you take things nice and slow. No need to be in a hurry. The porcillipora (bird's nest) is doable with the lighting you are planing. Just make sure you put it up high in the tank. Hold off on the anemones for a long time. I would discourage you from cycling with damsels. If you use LR to cycle you will not need them. Besides, they are pretty aggressive and a pain to catch when you want them out. Good luck with the set up...Lando
Old 02-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #6

so you dont need a fish when cycling. if i place the birds nest up higher in my tank it will work,what about frogspawn could i use that in my tank
tony
2 red tin foil barbs
2 kuli loachs
1 glass cat
1 pleco

46 Gal BF saltwater
(not setup yet)
Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You do not need a fish to cycle your tank. In fact, it now considered cruel. LR and a raw shrimp from the grocerystore will do the trick. Yes, a frogspawn will be fine in your tank as well. remember not to rush things, you are still several months from adding corals.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:34 PM   #8

Right now i'm just doing research and getting my tank set up a little at a time. This month i got my light so i think i might be cycling by june.
LANDO.......great pics in your gallery thats a fantastic tank!!!
TONY
2 red tin foil barbs
2 kuli loachs
1 glass cat
1 pleco

46 Gal BF saltwater
(not setup yet)
Old 02-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

[quote]
LANDO.......great pics in your gallery thats a fantastic tank
[/quot
Thanks Tony, I appreciate teh kind words...Lando

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com