Is this a good cleaning crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our ammonia went to zero. As soon as the nitrites go to zero we can add a cleaning crew, right? We have so much brown stuff, we are anxious to get them in there. I am thinking of ordering them from saltwaterfish.com. Also, will the algae in the tank be enough food for them or do we have to feed them these algae sheets I am hearing about? What do you think of this combo:

5 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
10 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
10 turbo/astrea snails

DJ

The brown stuff you are seeing are diatoms. This is common in a new tank as you complete your cycle. It will burn itself out in a week or so. As for the cleaning crew, I would not add any shrimp yet, I would make sure your nitrates are low enough. The hermits and snails sound good though. I would suggest some Nassarius snails as well. They burrow in the sand and stir the substrate.

tripper

Agree with tripper, bust to start out with a few hermits and snails to see how they do for a week or 2.

Also you might consider a star fish eventually they contribute also...and yes starting out with a few things at once to make sure they live would be advisable.

Back
Top Bottom