is this a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
saw this on an aquariacentral's classifieds. it's only four hours away, and i bet the guy might even meet me half way or something, just wondering what people think. thanks.

about 20 lbs LR
40# sand bed
a eclipse #3 hood
Extra instaled 13w compact flo 50/50 bulb.
power head
heater
two kinds of "attractive" macro alge set in the rock.
a pepermint srimp
3 large turbo snails
3 hermits reef safe
Ready for fish.
$200 I'll deliver local "MN+"
tank and top $90

not sure by the fackt he said eclipse for the lid.. i am gonna assume its a smaller tank (cause i never have seen a LARGE tank wihth a eclispe lid..)

it doesn't see m like a hell of deal.. but on the other hand if its 200 for evrything it might be a lil better then buying it outright.. but do u want everything in it.. cause that might be the only way its gonna be a hell of a deal is if u need/want everything in that tank then I can see it be worthing it .. otherwise not too sure..

pffft offer him 100-150 u'll be amazed as to how many will do that when u have fcash in ure hand.

Jacob

it's a 29, and as of right now, i don't have a salt tank at all, so this i would need everything he has. 90 is for the tank and lid without everything, 200 is for everything. plus live rock is all kinds of expensive in my area.

How many watts of Total lights does it have?

Sounds like could be a good deal for you if you think your ready for inverts etc..

Jacob

This doesn't have a stand does it? Is the lighting just one 13watt PC? Or is there the standard light too?
The thing is that sand is cheap to buy (you can get that at Home Depot for under $4)....powerheads aren't that expensive either. Heaters don't run that high, not even the good ones...maybe $35 tops (new). Hermits and snails are cheap...macro algae too...even the rock can be bought over the net for around $4 to $6 a pound which kinda makes it sound like this rock is a good deal, but then, you don't know what kind of problems this guy has had in the tank either.....and remember, all this stuff is used.....

I've bought several of my tanks used, and even though I haven't bought any with LR, I still wouldn't pay that much for that size tank. One of my best deals was a 55g with stand, hood, regular lights, powerhead, filter and some extras, delivered for $120! Then there was the 20g with stand, hood, lights, filter and a few extras for $30.

Ask him why he's selling it and if he's ever had problems with the tank then offer him less like Jacob Morgan suggested. You can also do a search on aquariacentral to see if he has posted about problems with this tank too...
Good luck!

I have to disagree with silica sand causing algae problems. I have silica in 2 of my salt tanks and aside from the normal "newly setup diatom bloom" that most every tank experiences, I haven't had a problem with diatoms. Besides that, if silica dissolved that easily in saltwater, you would have so much more to worry about.....like your glass tank falling apart!

sil·i·ca
n.
A white or colorless crystalline compound, SiO2, occurring abundantly as quartz, sand, flint, agate, and many other minerals and used to manufacture a wide variety of materials, especially glass and concrete.

sil·i·cate
n.
1) Any of numerous compounds containing silicon, oxygen, and one or more metals; a salt of silicic acid.
2) Any of a large group of minerals, forming over 90 percent of the earth's crust, that consist of SiO2 or SiO4 groupings combined with one or more metals and sometimes hydrogen.

As you can see silica and silicate are not quite the same thing, slilca is basically glass, silicate, is a compound that contains silica and another metal, it is the metal that fuels algae growth. The silica sand will not cause an algae problem.

Back
Top Bottom