is this a good filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Since no one has replied, I'll offer my 2¢ although I have never used this type of HOB.

Not sure how large your tank is or what kind it will be (FO, FOWLR or reef) but I wouldn't suggest something like that. The bioballs can be an added benefit for biological surface areas in the absence of LR but they can also be a detriment. There is limited space in the chamber so a very good chance of detritus accumulation which would make it hard to keep clean. If you already have this unit, it may be possible to mod it into a HOB refugium instead.

The skimmer portion also look quite week and being a venturi style skimmer is not very efficient. They usually require a fair amount of modding before you get any real performance. Even then, they are usually not very good.

I would suggest posting what kind of tank you want and equipment you already have and ask for alternate suggestions. For the same money, you could easily get a good stand alone skimmer instead.

Cheers
Steve

thanks for replying i have 55g tank that will start as a FOWLR but will change but not in the near future. im going to add LR when when my pocket tells me i can. Im new to saltwater i dont even know what a refugium is please explain thanks.Ive been reading alot on LR and bio balls what would you suggest?

<<Here>> is a description about refugiums. If you do a google search, you'll get quite a few diagrams and in depth set up help.

As far as biofiltration, LR is best hands down. Bioballs are much less forgiving as far as nitrate production is concerned, typically on the part of the hobbiest though. They are by no means flawed but they do require extra attention to feedings, stocking and waste control. LR just makes the whole process much easier and more forgiving of mistakes. In time, LR will also aid in completing the nitrogen cycle where bioballs cannot.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom