Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-31-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this a logical way to change salt brands?

I was thinking of changing my salt from IO to Kent because I wanted to keep a few corals in the near future. Basically here is my reasoning. I have a 15 gallon set up with a CSS 65. I get about .5-.75 gallon or less evaporation per day depending on the temperature and whether or not I have the AC running. Since the CSS reduces the salinity a little bit, I was wondering if I could use mixed Kent salt as top-off water to not only replace the evaporation and salinity but to slowly introduce the new salt.

As of now I only have fish, no inverts or coral. So I thought now would be the best time (I lost a few livestock to a careless tank-sitter recently). Also since I have a FOWLR set-up, I was also thinking of doing 1 gallon water changes every 10 days since I don't really have anything that is nutrient dependant.

If you have any other advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

lasek2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Dont let the issue of keeping corals make you move. Many of us including myself keep our reef tanks with IO.

By adding salt to your replacment water you need to be very careful not to over adjust and increase your salinity. I would suspect by doing it this method your going to take a very very very long time to acutally replace the salt in the tank from IO to Kent. Now would be the time to switch if you want and honestly you can just do a series of water changes and use Kent salt in the new mixed up water vs IO. The fish will be less sensitive to the subtle differences between the salt mixes.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

change, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com