Is this a Pest Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found what looks to me like a Petrolisthes species crab on my live rock last night that I got yesturday from my lfs, Its a peice of Cured live rock VERY nice piece IMO, lots of large holes in it, tons of purple and red coraline, lots of nice little polyps on it. However it has what I would guess to be bristle worms not really sure they are tiny long tenticle looking things that come out of the rock that are spiny looking with brown and tan stripes. is it true that bristle worms are nice to have in your CUC as long as there are not to many. however how many is to many.

sorry got a little side tracked my question about the crab is do I need to catch him and get him out of the tank? I have found a few ways on how to trap him. Its going to be a reef tank in a few months so IDK if he would be reef safe. his hairy, white and brown, looks like a gorilla crab but doesnt have the black claws.

Get him out, if your going reef don't take the chance. 99% of hitch hiking crabs are bad. As for the spiked arm coming out of your live rock those are just brittle stars, they are reef safe and good scavengers

It could be a teddy bear crab. Most hairy crabs aren't reef safe. The make a good clean up crew in the sump.

Bristle worms are a great clean up crew. I have a few that are several inches long and they have never once bothered anything in the tank. I have noticed that they do make my reef keeping friends keep their hands out of my tanks :D As the tank finishes cycling the extra bristle worms will die out unless you over feed the tank.

Back
Top Bottom