Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is this a proper DSB?

I see a lot of posts on DSB where people say that they must be done "properly" or else they can crash. I think I have it right but wanted to verify that this is what you would consider a proper DSB.

I have a 2.5 month old 25Gal setup with about 45# LR about 3.5" of aragonite seeded with LS and grunge from different LFSs.

There are lots of worms and worm tracks visable in the sand.
Stirring the DSB I have a bunch of blue leg hermits, 8 Nassarius snails and am picking up a tiger pistol shrimp tomorrow and eventually a watchman goby.

The DSB seems to be doing its job as my nitrates have now dropped to 0.

Any opinions on the setup are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #2
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
If the stock you described will be all you are adding to the tank, I don't think you should have any problems. Bioload will be very small. Keep an eye out if you plan to add more livestock though, Remember that with the LR and LS in the tank, you do not have a 25G tank any more due to displacement. HTH

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Skip the goby or any type of digging fish. If he digs into the hydrogen sulfide zone of the DSB it can crash your tank.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

yikes now I'm really confused. I thought the idea was to have something stir the DSB to prevent any areas from building up poisonous levels of hydrogen sulfide. If I shouldn't get any digging fish then how can I get a pistol shrimp?
I guess I still need some more help. Thanks so far.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

wanted to add sometheing else but my son pulled me away. So if a DSB and diggers don't mix then how deep of a sand bed to I need for a pistol/goby pair?

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure, but some folks bury eggcrate about an inch or two under the sandbed to prevent fish from digging into the anaerobic zone. I've never done it but you may find the answer here.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 3-3.5 inch sandbed and as long as you add the pistol shrimp while the tank is fairly new, there shouldn't be any problem. Those "bad areas" will not have formed in 2.5 months, IMO. To be careful, maybe bump up water changes for alittle while after adding the pistol shrimp. Also make sure to secure the LR (I "planted" mine in the sand) to prevent rock slides from the pistol's digging. A true DSB is 5-8 inches deep FWIW. W/ only 3 inches anerobic areas are going to be slim to none. I count on my LR when it comes to providing anerobic areas. Adding a pistol to a true DSB would be counter productive, unless some type of action was taken like Phases99 mentioned. IMO, true DSB's (5-8 inchers) are slowly fading away.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My clown swishes his tail in the sand till he puts a hole to the glass (my sand bed is 4") he does this in stages. Will that have the same affect as the goby

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Maroon clown does the same, except she tends to bury my brain and flower pot corals while making territory for her and her anemone. I'd say thats not as extreme as pistol/goby pair. They tend to move every inch of sand in my 29. FWIW remember sand "diggers" and sand "sifters" are two totally different things. Sifters tend to eat alot of what makes a sand bed a LS bed, and that is not good at all.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Excellent...thanks for the clarification on DSB. Luckily I did think ahead and used base rock under the LR for stability.

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com