is this an acceptable setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefishguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gal. with a 2" sand bed with sugar size granuals 140#s of live rock 80# base 30# keys 30# gulf. NO 2X20 bulbs. I will have two Maxijet 400's with prefilters on timers for a current. An over flow rated at 600gph. I have a 25 gal. sumpa wet/dry filter spilling into a red sea berlin classic protein skimmer with a rio 2500hp. A 300 watt heater. A return pump rated at 550 gph at a four foot head. with a return line that is like a airstone along the entire 48 inch width of the tank to promote circulation on the floor

How does this sound THis is what I have come up with to this point after many months of reading and researching, by the way all of you have been great online helping me with all of my questions. thanks

Please any concerns or modifacations you would do, before I go out an and by everything.

Personally I would up the maxijets to a higher output powerhead. For example on my 75 I have two Hagen 802 powerheads on an circut that alternates them in addition to a Mag 7 for circulation from my sump.

The only other thing I would suggest woudl be boosting the sand depth from 2" to 4".

really I was worried that the fish would feel like they were in a drain just getting spun around what size maxijet 1200,900,600. how much did you timer cost I was just going to have one be on for 3 then the other for 3 hours
why do you think I should raise the amount of sand, would it help with denitrifying

The ocean currents are very hard to reproduce as far as their flow. As far as what size maxijet I would do the 1200's. I have no idea on the timmer as i purchased the tank used and this is some kind of DIY timer that the person before me had made.

you can get 2-4 way timers at HD for $7 each. If you want digital, they will cost a little more. For a 75 gal, I agree with fishfreek. MJ1200's or Hagen 802's would suit your tank better.
It sounds like you are on the right track. ;)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom