Is this corraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it come off if you touch it? If so then it's not coralline. That combination of dark purple and neon green looks more like Cyanobacteria.

The first pic it's hard to tell. Theres dark red coralline in my tank that looks kind of like that. Just like what erich said, if it's slimy and comes off, it's cyano. Cyano is considered bad because it can grow quickly and cover corals. It's also means poor water quality. Common in new tanks though. The other pics look like whatever it is was part of the rock as in it doesn't really look like algae, but I don't really know.

I don't under stand how it entered the tank because I recently did a test yesterday for my parameters ph was 8.0 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 and nitrate a little high cant remember but I usually do a change every week and today is the change day so I will check and see what is and report too you guys

Cyano can come from rock or on frag plugs. Cyano feeds off of phosphates and likes low flow. Even a little phosphate from your water source would create a bloom. Do you know how much TDS is in your water or rather what water are you using?

Edit: forgot that there's also phosphates in some fish food.

Cyano can come from rock or on frag plugs. Cyano feeds off of phosphates and likes low flow. Even a little phosphate from your water source would create a bloom. Do you know how much TDS is in your water or rather what water are you using?

Edit: forgot that there's also phosphates in some fish food.

I use regular tap but I use thing like stress cost to take out the chemicals before I add it in my tank. I heard or rodi water but I really don't understand about it and I am relatively young so I wouldn't have a big budget

I just checked and some seems to come off easily but other pieces not so easy I will scrub the rock and do a regular change and wait for the crabs I orders too come.any other advice would be help full

Do the water change and scrub the rocks in the bucket not in the tank it will spread if you scrub it in the tank. It will be a tough battle using tap water.

I you can stretch it at all to even use distilled water over tap that would help. Also, how much and how often do you feed? Cyano is caused by excess nutrients in the water, too much food, sometimes too much/long lights. I don't believe crabs are going to eat cyano but they might take care of any green or hair algae :)

Do the water change and scrub the rocks in the bucket not in the tank it will spread if you scrub it in the tank. It will be a tough battle using tap water.

I tried flipping one of the rocks to try and starve it whatever lefts after that scrubbing and Iam waiting for my emerald crabs 5, scarlet and mini hermit crabs to arrive hopefully they are hungry and do you guys recommend any thing other than chemicals I might think about the rodi more

I you can stretch it at all to even use distilled water over tap that would help. Also, how much and how often do you feed? Cyano is caused by excess nutrients in the water, too much food, sometimes too much/long lights. I don't believe crabs are going to eat cyano but they might take care of any green or hair algae :)

I feed 2 clownfishes soon to be pairs twice a day and about twice a week frozen cyclops I have my lights on for 7 hours only for 2 mushroom so I might cut down

Tap has lots of phosphates and other dissolved solids. Just like Bectan said, if you can get RO water, you're water quality will do much better. Tap water and corals don't mix all that well unfortunately.

You don't need to feed cyclops to clownfish. Frozen food like mysis and other meaty foods are great. Cyclops is good for filter feeders and some small fish like gobies.

Also you said you used tap water and a conditioner. That's to remove chlorine, not phosphate or any other dissolved solids.

Also, I haven't heard of a CUC member that eats cyano, so that won't fix it.

What will fix the cyano problem, if this is cyano, is to do one or all:
-change to RO/DI water or at the least RO water (distilled)
-stop feeding cyclops unless necessary for filter feeders
-phosban reactor or bag of GFO

Also you said you used tap water and a conditioner. That's to remove chlorine, not phosphate or any other dissolved solids.

Also, I haven't heard of a CUC member that eats cyano, so that won't fix it.

What will fix the cyano problem, if this is cyano, is to do one or all:
-change to RO/DI water or at the least RO water (distilled)
-stop feeding cyclops unless necessary for filter feeders
-phosban reactor or bag of GFO

I will see if I can change to ro/di or distilled and is the phosban reactor or bag of gfo necessary or that's if I don't switch

Sorry, little bit confused. You feed them twice a day or twice a week? Are they the only two fish in the tank?

They are currently but Iam working on getting 1 or 2 more fishes and I feed them twice a day

Back
Top Bottom