Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
cj10488

Is this Enough sand for a 55g tank

Well after about 9 months I was finally able to talk the local Home Depot into doing a special order for 3 pallets of Southdown... Granted I only wanted like 2 or 3 bags for my self but figured since It was unavailible over here on the west coast that I could easily find a few others to help out with atleast a pallet... WEll I was able to find enough buyers to get 3 pallets.. A friend of mine got 2 pallets and I brought back 1 pallet for the rest of us reefers around here... 56x 50lb bags was pretty sore after Roofing all morning to load up and haul here... Made 3 trips in my little 02 Neon to pick up all 56bags... The first time I wasnt really all that prepared and more just wanted to make sure they got the right stuff.. Grabbed 11 bags on my first trip.. 21 bags on my second trip and the remaining 24 bags on the 3rd trip.. Talk about a low car LOL.. The car is still under warranty so I wasnt too worried about over loading it LOL.. Here is a few shots.. This is the corner of my dining room LOL..

James
Old 06-25-2004, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you give me all the skew numbers and info on the bag. Maybe my local HD will do the same.

BTW that is the most beautiful pic I have seen all month. The holy sand!!!!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
cj10488

Sent ya pm..

James
Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

why didnt ya take a pic of ya car i would love to see that heheheh LOWWWWW RIDDDERRR hehehe im surprised ya got 20+ bags in the car to funny
Old 06-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The holy sand!!!!
Might as be the holy grail around here. We won't get any.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Gerald, I am going to go to HD and see if they will get us a pallet. Will you help find others that want some in your area? I dont know if I can get then to do it, but I want to make sure I can get rid of it, when I do.

cj: thanks for the info

2cents: I was going to say holy grail, but I didnt know if I was spelling it right.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many bags on a pallet? I'm sure we can get rid of it without a problem. Just remember that the gathering is coming up and I'm sure there will be some one there wanting some.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, True. From CJ's earlier post it looks like 56 bags to a pallet. Also CJ sent me another picture with some good info on it. Here it is. Hope you dont mind CJ.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a good picture now to find the real thing.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-26-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
cj10488

What I did was took the Thread where people were finding it and gave a list of the stores to my Local HD and said these are the stores that I know where its at... During the winter months they couldnt find any stores with enough on hand.... So after a month of them trying they called back and said they couldn't... When spring came around I called them again and said (name) said they would order me some but they were unable to find it during winter and told me to call back in early spring... I kept on them and they found it at the First place they called (Reading, PA) The mgr there was willing to ship however much we needed here... The Mgr of my local HD informed me so I got with my friends and such and rounded up 3 pallets total... I claled the store back and she was like ok... I got a call a few days later stating that the store only had one pallet in stock and they ordered 2 more just for my order... About 2 or 3 weeks later (kept on them) both the other 2 pallets arrived and were shipped out the very next day.. It seemed like it took less than a week for it to get from PA to OR.. They called me up and said that the sand was there to go ahead and come pay and pick it up... Each pallet came out to like 479.00 shipped... Just keep on your HD and talk with the Store Mgr or Assistant and offer to pay for shipping... Its their trucking Co so you arent paying anywhere near normal shipping prices... Since where you guys are located it would make the total pallet even cheaper...

HTH<
James

Tags
55 gallon, sand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com