Is This good for a 58 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude343

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i am making a 58 g tank.It will have a sump and will also be a reef tank.Here is a list that i made of equipment i might use. Feel free to comment on it. Also if you like any piece of equipment and think that i should use it please tell me it.

Protein skimmer:Reef Octopus NW 200 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer*

Lighting:Current USA Outer Orbit Fixture, 1x150W HQI Metal Halide & 2X96W Compact Fluorescents, 36 inch

Power Head:Koralia 3 Centrifugal Pump

100 pounds of LR

Here is a list of fish just so you know if i need a something special like a very strong power head.

2 false percula clownfish
1 rolyal gramma
3-5 blue-green chormis
1 pink-spotted watchman goby

Here are some of the corals i want, i don't know much about i am going to do more research but if you know anything about them then feel free to post.

Brain Coral open-red
Hammer coral
ORA Oregon Tortuosa
Bubble coral
Chili Coral
Leather tree
Mushroom Coral - Purple

I would want to add theese corals overtime so i won't get them all at once please comment on anything. Thanks

Out of pure curiosity, how much money do you have wrapped up or will have in the tank, skimmer, lighting, and powerhead.

Equipment list looks good. My only comment would be that you're probably going to want another Koralia - just one powerhead won't really give you the flow pattern you're looking for. Two powerheads at opposite ends of the tank would be good.

Regarding your corals... you might do some research on the Goniopora - they reportedly have very poor rates of survival in our tanks. Too bad because they're really beautiful corals!

Equipment list looks good. My only comment would be that you're probably going to want another Koralia - just one powerhead won't really give you the flow pattern you're looking for. Two powerheads at opposite ends of the tank would be good.

Regarding your corals... you might do some research on the Goniopora - they reportedly have very poor rates of survival in our tanks. Too bad because they're really beautiful corals!

I did some research and found out even the most experienced people don't get them so i am going to take it off the list. Thanks for the advice on the power heads.Also i am willing to spend around 1,500

a qt is always a good idea. it will prevent any parasites from entering your tank. as for the size i am not really sure 20gal maybe a bit bigger if you want. but they are always a good thing and save lots of trouble down the line

what do you need i it like what filters lighting.Do i need good lighting for it. Also i know you put tubes and stuff in it for the fish but would you put some live rock in it for a little extra filtration?

No special lighting requirement. You don't want LR in there because certain meds or hyposalinity can/will kill off your beneficial bacteria. You can use PVC piping to give them hiding spots.
You can keep a filter in your main tank/sump to keep the bacteria alive on it and use it in a QT as needed.

I don't have that particular fixture. I got my fixture before one was available with T5 bulbs. T5's are all about the reflector. You want a high quality parabolic reflector over each bulb (individual reflectors). That's what gives T5 bubs their POP. A good reflector increases light output several times over a flat or rectangular reflector.

QT does not require any special lighting unless you plan on QT for all corals for a 30 day period. I generally QT them for a couple of days, if that before adding them to my tank. I do give them a good swish in aged tank water before placing them in the main tank too. Not sure it helps all that much, but it makes me feel better :)

I don't have that particular fixture. I got my fixture before one was available with T5 bulbs. T5's are all about the reflector. You want a high quality parabolic reflector over each bulb (individual reflectors). That's what gives T5 bubs their POP. A good reflector increases light output several times over a flat or rectangular reflector

I highly agree with this!. Just think about this, with no relfector you have ~1/2 the lighting being wasted, so having a great reflector you stand to gain 50% of your watts/lumens/lux(however you want to say it), thats with a perfect reflector(for this very general idea).

Actually with a great parabolic reflector over a T5 tube you gain about 300% from what I've read. A well made parabolic reflector will put 95% - 99% of the tube's light output down into the tank. It focuses the light output that is normally lost to the sides and top of the tube back down into the tank.

ok thanks for all the advice sorry i didn't answer for a while.
Do you know any sites that have the reflectors i looked on the web and all of the things ended up being lights.are there the reflectors in the light fixture?Also do i need an overflow box.

Thanks for all the help

Sorry for all the questions but i just want to clarify before i get the tank and everything. But what if the fish lay eggs because i haven't planned a breeder tank or a tank they can go into if the have them.I have had some freshwater fish the had eggs on the wall and the next day lots of them were gone and i saw a fish trying to eat them.I just don't want to have something like that happen again.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom