Is this Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been cycling for 3-4 weeks. The only things I have in my tank other than LR and substrate (crushed coral) are 2 damsels. I have noticed in the past few days some white spots on the tail of one of my damsels. I can't recall if these spots were there when I first got the fish or not. Is it possible that my tank already has ich?? The little guy is still very active and I have not seen it rubbing against any of the tank decor. The other damsel is completely fine as well.

Looks like Ich. I use Garlic-Xtra from Kent. I know its not medication but it works for me, Although its not fool proof. I dose my tank for 3-4 days with the Garlic or longer if it dosen't go away. I also dose my tanks weekly with Garlic. There are other ways and medications. but this works good for me and you don't have to add carbon afterwards and wont hurt Inverts or corals. Im sure others will post with ways that work for them read them and decide which sounds good for you and try that. Good Luck. PS I also have a UV sterilizer running with a slow flow to help wipe out parasites.

I can't really tell from the pic...but are the spots raised, cauliflour looking growths, or does it look like sugar grains? To me from the two pics, it looks either like abrasions to the clear part of the fin....or possibly lymphocystis. I doubt from the size of the pic shown we would be able to ID anything but a very advanced case of ick.

Back
Top Bottom