Is this light any good????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of converting my 29 gallon standard fish tank to saltwater. Would this light be good for a FOWLR? I would eventually want some corals but not at the beginning. Is this something that I would have to upgrade if I wanted corals? Sorry for all the questions but this would be my first saltwater tank.

24" INCH HO QUAD T5 AQUARIUM CORAL LIGHTS FIXTURE 96W | eBay

Also, could I use this now with my 2 electric blue dempseys?

Maybe this one????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-inch-96W...585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a9452819

Last edited:
I had a 30" fixture on my straight 29 you might wanna look into one of those. :) But yes, that light look to be a good entry level fixture.

I didnt even measure the tank. So, a 30" is a better fit? Is this one high enough wattage to do corals, or would I have to upgrade? Also, might get the light before changing the tank over, would it be ok for my dempseys?

I also have a ton of Texas Holy rock (lace rock) from my freshwater tanks. Will that work for base rock?

If its a standard 29g then it should be 30 inches wide. I would go with a size appropriate light so that you have complete coverage.

I wouldnt put the holey rock in the saltwater tank if it's been in a fw tank, but thats just my opinion. Other may chime in if they have done it successfully.

base rock runs about $2.50 a lbs o its not a big expense. reefcleaners had 50 lbs recently for $105 with free shipping. :)

I currently am running dual t5's over my 125g cichlid tank, I even have the actinics going. It makes the fish colors pop, at least to me anyways. lol

But yeah, a 4 bulb t5 like theone you listed would allow you to keep a good selection of corals. If you wanted to get into anenomes and clams it might be a different story though. Individually reflected bulbs are a big plus in a marine fixture, it can make a HUGE difference. So if you are shopping around see if thats an option.

Thanks Carey, that is a big help. As far as a using a canister filter, is that a good option for this tank? I have a brand new ehiem 2217 that has never been used. I assume I would have to change the filter media that came with it?

I run a canister on my 55g still and have had 0 issues with it. The only potential problem is if you dont clean it regularly it will become a nitrate factory. I used to clean mine every 2 weeks and kept 0 nitrates. :-D

I use filter polishing pads, biomax and carbon in mine. The carbon is questionable though, some people don't use it but I prefer to have some in it. I am not familiar with the ehiem though so I dont know if it has trays or prefitted media. if it has trays then its easy peezy. lol

Any opinions??? Gonna buy one of them tonight. I have heard bad things about the Odysea MH's, how are the t5HO? Both will extend to fit the 30" 29G.

spoonman said:
Any opinions??? Gonna buy one of them tonight. I have heard bad things about the Odysea MH's, how are the t5HO? Both will extend to fit the 30" 29G.

I just bought some lights off of PetSolutions. It is called the Lunar Aqualight T5 HO Fixture. Has 4 ballasts and LEDS for moon lighting. Check them out. There were good reviews.

Back
Top Bottom