Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is this lighting good? coralife

I have a 78 gallon long, short tank (80*15*15 inches)
I have two 36 inch coralife 50/50 bulbs, fluorescent. Is this good for my fish only tank? Maybe an anemone? Would this be the best lighting to show off the colors of my fish and provide enough light for invertebre?
This is what my LFS suggested.

Courtney

Old 07-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont think that will be enough light for an anemone. How may watts is your lighting? Do you just have the two bulbs or two fixtures? It would be fine for fish because they dont need bright lights. Lighting is just your personal preferance when it comes to FOWLR. As for your anemone that you're wanting to get it also depends on the kind from what I've been told. HTH

Old 07-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
The ighting you desrcibed is just fine for a FOWLR tank. I do not think it is enough to support an anemone. The very least you would need are two 4x65watt CF fixtures for the lower-light species.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you familiar with the color that the 50/50 bulbs gives off. Do you think it is the most natural and best for the fish colors? It is
VERY bright in the tank, daylight.

The power supply box in the lights gets extremely hot! I don't want to put the lights on because of this. How many hours a day should I put them on and is this normal?

Courtney
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I responded to your PM with some info
Quote:
Are you familiar with the color that the 50/50 bulbs gives off. Do you think it is the most natural and best for the fish colors? It is
VERY bright in the tank, daylight.
Should be just fine for the fish
Quote:
The power supply box in the lights gets extremely hot! I don't want to put the lights on because of this. How many hours a day should I put them on and is this normal?
The ballast will produce heat. If it is too hot to handle, smells funny or smokes it is defective and should not be used. If it is a bit warm, make sure it has room to vent and you can run yourlights 10-12hrs a day.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I called my LFS and they assured me that my two lights, 60 watt total, would be fine for some anemones. Otherwise I was going to do an exchange. I hope he is right because I want to get my clown when my tank is done cycling. Hmmmm
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I called my LFS and they assured me that my two lights, 60 watt total, would be fine for some anemones.
Very, very bad advice. Keep in mind that they have more of a financial incentive. It is simply not enough light to keep an anemone long-term. However, I am sure they will be happy to sell you another one...it is what they do.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with lando.. they are just there to profit... we are here to help, what you have is not enough for any anemone.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is too bad. I guess I will just keep my coral life 50/50 until my tank is ready for an anemone. My fish look good under the lights but the tank is overall purple and kind of distracting against white walls.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
Forget 50/50. You havn't seen anything yet. It's nothing comparing to the true actinic spectrum (actinic 05?) Return your light for a 350W+ fixture (enough for anemmones)

Tags
coral, coralife, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com