Is this lighting good? coralife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 78 gallon long, short tank (80*15*15 inches)
I have two 36 inch coralife 50/50 bulbs, fluorescent. Is this good for my fish only tank? Maybe an anemone? Would this be the best lighting to show off the colors of my fish and provide enough light for invertebre?
This is what my LFS suggested.

Courtney

I dont think that will be enough light for an anemone. How may watts is your lighting? Do you just have the two bulbs or two fixtures? It would be fine for fish because they dont need bright lights. Lighting is just your personal preferance when it comes to FOWLR. As for your anemone that you're wanting to get it also depends on the kind from what I've been told. HTH

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The ighting you desrcibed is just fine for a FOWLR tank. I do not think it is enough to support an anemone. The very least you would need are two 4x65watt CF fixtures for the lower-light species.

Are you familiar with the color that the 50/50 bulbs gives off. Do you think it is the most natural and best for the fish colors? It is
VERY bright in the tank, daylight.

The power supply box in the lights gets extremely hot! I don't want to put the lights on because of this. How many hours a day should I put them on and is this normal?

Courtney

I responded to your PM with some info
Are you familiar with the color that the 50/50 bulbs gives off. Do you think it is the most natural and best for the fish colors? It is
VERY bright in the tank, daylight.
Should be just fine for the fish
The power supply box in the lights gets extremely hot! I don't want to put the lights on because of this. How many hours a day should I put them on and is this normal?
The ballast will produce heat. If it is too hot to handle, smells funny or smokes it is defective and should not be used. If it is a bit warm, make sure it has room to vent and you can run yourlights 10-12hrs a day.

I called my LFS and they assured me that my two lights, 60 watt total, would be fine for some anemones. Otherwise I was going to do an exchange. I hope he is right because I want to get my clown when my tank is done cycling. Hmmmm

I called my LFS and they assured me that my two lights, 60 watt total, would be fine for some anemones.
Very, very bad advice. Keep in mind that they have more of a financial incentive. It is simply not enough light to keep an anemone long-term. However, I am sure they will be happy to sell you another one...it is what they do.

I agree with lando.. they are just there to profit... we are here to help, what you have is not enough for any anemone.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

That is too bad. I guess I will just keep my coral life 50/50 until my tank is ready for an anemone. My fish look good under the lights but the tank is overall purple and kind of distracting against white walls.

Forget 50/50. You havn't seen anything yet. It's nothing comparing to the true actinic spectrum (actinic 05?) :) Return your light for a 350W+ fixture (enough for anemmones)

anemmones need a well established tank too.....

Yes, I know. I am planning on stocking in this order. Clownfish, Royal Gramma, tang, and down the line anemone.

Will those bulbs you are speakinga bout fit in my single bulb hood? 36 inches?

Back
Top Bottom