Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know Big Al is expensive big time,
but where else can i go in Toronto...

Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, the rock doesn't seem to be going anywhere as of yet..
still looks the same or worse.. I think I might have killed some of it as the PH was too low.

I had a SaltWater Master Liquid Test Kit, which is pretty much garbage unless you know what shade to look for..

It may look like you're in the right range and you could be completely off. My electronic PH(worth every penny) tester came in today and to my surprise the PH was 7.5

Nemo would've died if I had put him in...

Now I wonder how the Nitrate/nitrite/amonia tests will go with this kit...

So far it's already weirded out cause for Ammonia, the water stays clear.. but for 0 ppm it shows a color on the color chart...

Gotta love the challenge of saltwater

Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

did you calibrate the pH monitor?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro_Boy_To
I had a SaltWater Master Liquid Test Kit, which is pretty much garbage unless you know what shade to look for..
Are you talking about the AP test or Red sea?

IME the AP tests have always been reliable for the basic ph/nh3/no2/no3. The only test that is hard to read is the no3 test and that’s only if you have no3 <10 ppm. If your ph is in the 7.8+ range isn’t not too difficult to tell between the colors.

[quote="euro_Boy_To"]So far it's already weirded out cause for Ammonia, the water stays clear.. but for 0 ppm it shows a color on the color chart...
If it is the AP test are you using both bottles for the nh3/no3 test? The nh3 test usually will have a slight color if both bottles are used but will be clear if only the #1 bottle is used.

Salifert tests are more reliable.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

For what its worth, I just ordered 125lbs of the following carribean LR at 3.25/lb including shipping to the nearest airport. I think the minimum quantity is 25lbs. According the person I spoke with, this is "wild", not aquacultured. They gave me the option of cultured and non-cultured. Since I am starting a new tank, I chose uncultured as he said, "Its loaded with life". Its scheduled to overnight ship to me next Wed.

http://www.intmarinefish.com/liverock.html
Old 04-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
steve-s

J&L is excellent for dry goods especially. I pretty much buy most of my supplies there exclusively. If you live in the Lowermainland, shipping is free on orders over $50.00 except salt buckets. Gotta love that...

http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/shipping.htm

As mentioned above, KingEd's is also good for LR. Depending on what your buying that day, you can also haggle with them. They're great for frag trade ins. I usually get 50% of the sell value if not asking for cash.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com