Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh ok thanks for the info. I was planning on getting 20 or 30 snails and crabs and a couple bristle worms and other cleaners.

You're on the right track- and believe me you will get worms of all types with your live rock, a lot of people consider bristle worms a nuisance because they are kind of the front runner of the CUC, and they thrive off of the detritus and the things dying within the curing rock.(y)

Mikenhecker1 said:
Oh ok thanks for the info. I was planning on getting 20 or 30 snails and crabs and a couple bristle worms and other cleaners.

That may be a little much for that size tank if they have nothing to eat they will die as well ....my 29gallon tank is so clean that I have three Snails, 4 nassarius snails and six hermits along with a cleaner shrimp peppermint shrimp and pistol shrimp I had four Mexican huge snails but they all died because my CUC was too big

Also died maybe bc of natural cause was my emerald and like 8 other snails there just wasn't enough food to go around because my food schedule is made for optimal tank maintenance meaning it stays clean

Thanks guys. :) I have to move my aquarium soon anyways. Might just fill it with better water, and start from scratch. I like the bristle worms. I caught one when I got my water. It didn't make the transport but my two goby's made it.

I added dry rock with my live rock to save some money, The live rock at my LFS is $12 per pound v/s 2.00 per lb at bulk reef supply. Good luck!

I added dry rock with my live rock to save some money, The live rock at my LFS is $12 per pound v/s 2.00 per lb at bulk reef supply. Good luck!

At 12 a pound they should be Ashamed of themselves what thieves ...hopefully people just never buy rock from them ever again that's price gouging at its best that's insane better be 24k gold live Rock....what fish store btw? I have one by me that tries to do that and the rocks have aptasia in them lol no one ever buys the rock

Reefpete said:
At 12 a pound they should be Ashamed of themselves what thieves ...hopefully people just never buy rock from them ever again that's price gouging at its best that's insane better be 24k gold live Rock....what fish store btw? I have one by me that tries to do that and the rocks have aptasia in them lol no one ever buys the rock

Eeks...my lfs sells it for $8/# and i thought that was rediculous. k would def look elsewhere

Im paying 5.00 /# here in Louisiana. Is the coralline algae the purple stuff or what? I have been buying a little LR from lfs and from petco and the stuff from lfs is way better. It's way lighter and has good color. Can I use like a piece of coral skeleton from an old piece of brain coral from the beach. It's fossilized probably. I am trading a couple snake hides for it tomorrow. :) just want to know if it will hurt the water and can the BB thrive in it?

Im paying 5.00 /# here in Louisiana. Is the coralline algae the purple stuff or what? I have been buying a little LR from lfs and from petco and the stuff from lfs is way better. It's way lighter and has good color. Can I use like a piece of coral skeleton from an old piece of brain coral from the beach. It's fossilized probably. I am trading a couple snake hides for it tomorrow. :) just want to know if it will hurt the water and can the BB thrive in it?

Yes purple is good that's coraline

Awesome I got a lot and I think it's spreading. I also have this funny looking brown algae that looks kinda like moss. It's trying to cover everything, but my hermit crab is giving it a run for it's money. I do need a better CUC and more LR.

image-2793341717.jpg

Been a month and a week and still no cycle. Has anyone ever skipped a cycle before? Just looking for feedback. My Zoa coral is doing great and a piece fell off and started growing somewheres else. So far the only things that died were a big blue leg hermit crab, domino damsel, and a bumble bee snail that I found later to be brackish. Has anyone else had an experience where their sw tank didn't cycle?

image-1581729273.jpg

image-2534402185.jpg

This is the piece that sprouted from between two rocks. I am going to leave it there for a while and see how big it gets but there were only two when it fell off and now there are three. I have not

Back
Top Bottom