Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
You can get all you need as far as those supplements by doing weekly or bi weekly PWC`s. Some folks will experience lower calcium readings with some salt brands. There are several that will give you higher readings. I use Oceanic which keeps my calcium at about 480 with weekly PWC`s. Read this also

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I purchased a test kit for magnesium, calcium, Ph and Nitrate. I also was told bu my local shop to purchase the 2 ocean blend bottles. In the test kit come some supplements. What do they do and do I use them? I also dont know how to read my nitrate level. There are 2 numbers on the color card. Please help.
1st thing is don't dose anything you don't test for...so I wouldn't worry about those small bottle of supplements. I'm not fmailiar with the store bought ca and alk supplements, but they should say how much of the product is needed to raise the level. It might say something like "use 1 cap full to raise ca 10 ppm in 50g of water". The nitrate kits has 2 ranges. Follow the instructions and use either the high or low range and read the chart according to the range you picked.
My other readings are: No3 0.05, Ammonia 0.0, PH .02 Magnesium 1000 calcium is 450.
Your mag is a little low. It should be around 1350. What is your alk? Your ca is good, but you need to balance the ca, alk and mag for best results. The link Mike posted has lots of good info.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Depending if you used the low range or high range test, your nitrates are slightly high, or off the charts. It's probably the number of drops you use that determines if you should read the high or low side. Check the instructions that came with the test kit.

Magnesium should be about 3x the Calcium level. What is your Alk reading?
Another good article by Randy Holems-Farley is Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com