is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
An online retailer of Fiji LR (liveaquaria.com :wink: ) claims starfish, mollusk, plants, worms, crustaceans, and sponges will appear after several months of the rock being in your tank. Is this possible :?:

Yup, you could see some stuff within days after placing the live rock in your tank. Some times youll catch a little hitch hiker in your live rock. I dont know if the things that are already alive will survive the time out of water though....

Could any of these thing survive overnight shipping and being placed in an uncycled tank? -I'm 3 days into cycling, but I found out you should always cycle LR that is shipped via an online retailer because of 'shipping die off'

Many of the animals that come with LR can and will survive suprisingly enough 8O If this is a new tank I would not worry about re-curing the LR prior to placing it in the tank.

The only real time that should be of concern is if you are adding rock to an established tank with animals. That goes for cured as well as uncued. If need be, >>here<< is a good resource for curing LR.

Cheers
Steve

You will be very surprised and pleased with what you find on LR. I've had the LR in my current tank for over a year, and I still find new stuff popping up on it ;)

I had a seperate post about this the other day, but this is to reassure you. Just two days ago, we found a purple lobster poking out of one of our rocks. I've also found a couple of mantis, feather worms, and all kinds of other stuff.

Its like Tim said......the bad things you DON'T want are the mantis shrimp and aiptasia (glass anenome).

i think you would be surprised how well some of the stuff will survive. i once got a sea slug of some type out of some live rock that had been dry for several hours. some of the smaller stuff is really ressiliant. if you take rock out of your tank you could still get things hatching out of it yrs. later. for instance, brine shrimp eggs ( the type of brine they use in sea monkeys) can be left dry for up to 50 yrs. and the shrimp will still hatch perfectly healthy.

Back
Top Bottom