Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

So your telling me that fluval design the filtration like that for it NOT to work?!? Are you saying that the tank was designed not to have any water in it?!?

We bought this as an ex-display and I can assure you their showroom didn't have water all over the floor!!!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #32
Thanx but no.....

I'm saying that the canister filter was designed to use a siphon as a water delivery method. Over the lip of the tank, the water flows to the can and is pushed back up to the lip and over. Not pushed into the can. IMO there will be alot of pressure on that impeller but that's just me.

If your tank came drilled, it was drilled in anticipation of a sump not a canister filter hooked up to it.

We're not talking about the end of life as we know it. It's advice. Take or leave it. It's your tank. It may work out fine, if it does that's great.

The comments/advice are to help those who may read this and think it's a standard way to use their can. Work or not, it's not.

Not to be repetitive but...... enjoy

I despise skinny felines!
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank comes with the canister filter to plumb straight into it!!

I can appreciate what you are trying to say friend as advice and believe me I will take your advice and regularly check the fittings for possible discrepancies!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #34
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I would definitely agree that you're probably going to have issues running the canister that way. Regardless of how it was sold to you, canisters (at least fluvals, eheims, and renas) are not designed to be used that way. I have a feeling something will go wrong if you use it that way very long. Whether it's a hose coming off from the pressure of all that water pushing down, a leak in the seal, the impeller breaking, or whatever...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

The impeller isn't seeing any more or less resistance. However the seal between the top and bottom are. I know the fluval has a ball valve, but it isn't perfect. And those hoses do pop off. I didn't really think about it before, but that is a ticking time bomb. If you get ANY sort of leak, the entire tank will drain. To the bottom. No way to stop it. Fish, sand everything.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #36
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well... not to the bottom... looks like its sticking up almost half way.. so, only half the water would flood the house

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, there you go,push the tubes up higher. As longas it doesn't leak at the bulkhead.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com