Is this setup OK to do a reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 75 gal SW tank is in 1st week of cycle process. I set it up with the follwing equipments: Fluval 404 canister, 2 PH, AquaC Remora skimmer,Turbo Twist 3X UV sterilizer, 50lbs BR, 30lbs LR. CC(switching to play sand this weekend) :x I am getting Coral LIfe PC lights soon.

I know this set up is ok for FOWLR,but i want to do a reef tank down the road,and since my75 gal tank is still in its early stage...So, should i just take it down completely and start over with an internal Overflow 90 gal tank with sump?

I love the sumps and drilled tanks, but what you have will work fine and depending on the watts of the PC you could do some soft corals with what you have now.
If you got the money go bigger, once you get hooked in this hobby you will be kicking youself in the ass that you didn't.
Then Again the 75 sounds like a nice setup. All depends on what your looking to do down the road.

I have almost the same exact set up in my Reef tank

You can have just about anything in the Tank you want.

80 lbs of rock is about the minimum lr needed to rely on it alone for bio filtration. If you plan on stocking lightly, then you should be fine. If you would like more fish in the tank, then more rock would help. If you have the patience, get some more base rock; much cheaper. :wink:

BTW, your setup is fine. Get your feet wet with a fowler and let the tank slowly progress as your experience grows. It will probably end up looking better than an insta-reef

IfoundNemo said:
Did you remove any filter media in the Fluval 404 ? I setup mine with all the media that came with it.

yeah I used what came with the Filter.

I have since changed the carbon to Chemi-Pure brand
you can do without the Pre-Filter Media.

it is important to change the filter monthly.
stick with that and you'll be fine.

I would add some more LR and a an extra PH or two.

Back
Top Bottom