Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is this tank ok to purchase?

I am just starting into saltwater and I have decided that I would like to eventually have a 40 gallon reef. I found this local ad on craigslist but since I just started researching about sumps and drilling tanks I am not sure of this is an alright setup. I have attached the pictures supplied by the seller and any input at all is appreciates.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

So long as the seals don't leak then your good to go. Make sure to check the supports inside of the stand before you buy it. Check for cracks or bowed beams. If this is the case walk away unless it's free.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog24 View Post
So long as the seals don't leak then your good to go. Make sure to check the supports inside of the stand before you buy it. Check for cracks or bowed beams. If this is the case walk away unless it's free.

It is supposed to be brand new. They were going to set it up as their third tank but they are moving and dont have room in the new house. I was more concerned with how it is drilled since I dont know anything about that.

They are asking 250 but not sure it is quite worth it - but the bonus of not having to drill and build my own sump is enticing....
Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Looks good to me. the price is up to you. A 40 breeder is about 70 bucks or so at my local store, and then you have the overflow which was probably about 75 bucks and then the drill bit, another 15 bucks, and then the tank below, already partitioned, which would probably cost another 75 bucks. Then there's the stand...IMO, 250 is not a bad price.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 40 breeder is just over 300 pounds full. It's not going to bow anything.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well the stand looks homemade. That either a good or bad thing depending on the type of wood used. I built my own stand as well and I know that thing can hold over 600 pounds. Bad side is someone could of this cheap and is just selling it as a side job. You never know with Craig's list. Ask them about the type of wood used as the beams and at a min make sure it's 2 x 2 pine ( not notty pine either) and thing above that would be fine. For the price it's a good deal but if it's brand new and they down want it why not just take it back to the store??
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does the back look like? How is that overflow box installed?
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog24 View Post
Well the stand looks homemade. That either a good or bad thing depending on the type of wood used. I built my own stand as well and I know that thing can hold over 600 pounds. Bad side is someone could of this cheap and is just selling it as a side job. You never know with Craig's list. Ask them about the type of wood used as the beams and at a min make sure it's 2 x 2 pine ( not notty pine either) and thing above that would be fine. For the price it's a good deal but if it's brand new and they down want it why not just take it back to the store??
It's been drilled for an overflow. It cannot be returned. And again, it's not even 400 pounds. Any wood will hold that tank. What beams? It's a 36" tank. If there's anything more than a 2x3 frame under it it's overkill.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

300 is enough to bow even steel depending on where the loads place and how far the span.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I'm assuming the stand has been drilled correct? Or has the tank been drilled

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com