Is this tank ok to purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just starting into saltwater and I have decided that I would like to eventually have a 40 gallon reef. I found this local ad on craigslist but since I just started researching about sumps and drilling tanks I am not sure of this is an alright setup. I have attached the pictures supplied by the seller and any input at all is appreciates.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394209298844.jpg
    1394209298844.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 1394209310392.jpg
    1394209310392.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 1394209322301.jpg
    1394209322301.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 110
So long as the seals don't leak then your good to go. Make sure to check the supports inside of the stand before you buy it. Check for cracks or bowed beams. If this is the case walk away unless it's free.

So long as the seals don't leak then your good to go. Make sure to check the supports inside of the stand before you buy it. Check for cracks or bowed beams. If this is the case walk away unless it's free.

It is supposed to be brand new. They were going to set it up as their third tank but they are moving and dont have room in the new house. I was more concerned with how it is drilled since I dont know anything about that.

They are asking 250 but not sure it is quite worth it - but the bonus of not having to drill and build my own sump is enticing....

Looks good to me. the price is up to you. A 40 breeder is about 70 bucks or so at my local store, and then you have the overflow which was probably about 75 bucks and then the drill bit, another 15 bucks, and then the tank below, already partitioned, which would probably cost another 75 bucks. Then there's the stand...IMO, 250 is not a bad price.

Well the stand looks homemade. That either a good or bad thing depending on the type of wood used. I built my own stand as well and I know that thing can hold over 600 pounds. Bad side is someone could of this cheap and is just selling it as a side job. You never know with Craig's list. Ask them about the type of wood used as the beams and at a min make sure it's 2 x 2 pine ( not notty pine either) and thing above that would be fine. For the price it's a good deal but if it's brand new and they down want it why not just take it back to the store??

Well the stand looks homemade. That either a good or bad thing depending on the type of wood used. I built my own stand as well and I know that thing can hold over 600 pounds. Bad side is someone could of this cheap and is just selling it as a side job. You never know with Craig's list. Ask them about the type of wood used as the beams and at a min make sure it's 2 x 2 pine ( not notty pine either) and thing above that would be fine. For the price it's a good deal but if it's brand new and they down want it why not just take it back to the store??
It's been drilled for an overflow. It cannot be returned. And again, it's not even 400 pounds. Any wood will hold that tank. What beams? It's a 36" tank. If there's anything more than a 2x3 frame under it it's overkill.

300 is enough to bow even steel depending on where the loads place and how far the span.

Well I'm assuming the stand has been drilled correct? Or has the tank been drilled

It's 36". It's not going to bow anything. a 2x3 pine frame is plenty to hold it. The plywood skin is not even necessary.

I asked for pictures of the back of the tank to see what the overflow looks like. The stand is a good quality wood and is painted with mildew resistant paint. The stand is not drilled, just the tank. I will post pics of the back once I receive them.

I see you're in pa I don't know if you would be interested but I just broke down my 65 gallon 36"x18"x24" high and I'm looking to make some space has hob overflow, hob skimmer, sump, 6 bulb t5ho, sumps a little beat but functional,needs to have baffles re-siliconed , like I said I'm looking to make space and I apologize for the unsolicited offer but I figured it couldn't hurt to put it out there, my zip is 19464 to give an idea of location

Alright below are the pictures of the back of tank and the plumbing. The guy started this tank but then bought a 225 gallon setup instead. They also have a 90 gallon for sale since he upgraded.

Attachments

• image-3.jpeg
    image-3.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 83
  • image-4.jpeg
    image-4.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for the offer but 65 is a bit bigger than I am comfortable with for my first attempt at saltwater. Also your zipcode is almost 4 hours away from me.

So, he cut 2 holes in the back of the tank and then glued an acrylic overflow box to the inside. That should work fine. What doesn't make sense is that he has two 1" drains that run into a single 1" drain. An easy fix though, if the flow isn't enough for your liking. I think it's a fair price and a decent setup.

Looks good to me, I do have one concern and maybe me x could chime in on it. The baffles in the sump tank are tall, thus the water level will be high which could cause overflow issues in the event of a power failure. This is caused by water draining from the display to the tank but not being pumped back up.

Those high partitions are lifted off of the bottom. It doesn't matter how tall they are, water will still go under them.

Back
Top Bottom