Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is this too MUCH?

We've been shopping around for lights, seems like everyone local fish store sells 96w PC's with just one ballast. My question is this for corals do we have to do the sunrise/sunset effect? What I'd like to eventually do is put an additional 50/50 96w on there but my husband feels that would be WAY too much. OK, I'm ready for everyone's opinion.

The tank is a 40 gallon long 36" long. I think he figured it would be something like 7 watts per gallon, is this too much?

Corals we are looking at are.. Branching hammer coral and also branching frogspawn and eventually a M.Cap

TIA

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
for corals do we have to do the sunrise/sunset effect?
Your tank does not *need* a dawn-to-dusk effect. We set up our tanks that way because we like how it looks - it means nothing to the fish or corals.

Quote:
The tank is a 40 gallon long 36" long. I think he figured it would be something like 7 watts per gallon, is this too much?
With LPS (Hammer, Frogspawn, etc.), you'd need to place them near the bottom of the tank, and possible in 'indirect' lighting or a semi-shaded spot. The Monti cap. (and any other sps) will *love* that amount of light, and really should have at least that much.

HTH,

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you were to get 2, 96W lights (192W total), you are looking at 4.8 watts per gallon on a 40 G tank. From what I have read, 5 watts per gallon is usually recommended for most corals etc... it wouldn't be overkill if you got the extra 50/50 light. But I am no expert on the matter...
Old 08-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! We got lucky last night and found one LFS that was selling a JBJ retrofit for 223, it was 2 96 watt PC's one blue and one white, both on separate ballasts, we are doing the dawn to dusk part, I was amazed at how bright it was.

We also stopped at the other LFS that had frags buy 5 and get one free, so we ended up getting 6 for 50 bucks, can't beat that, got a bright green hammer, and a torch coral, 2 beautiful yuma ricordias a small leather that went into our son's 5 gallon, and a catus coral. Now with the lighting so bright I'm wondering if I placed them in a good spots, the yumas I have placed on the sand in front, the hammer and the torch are at opposite ends from each other but sort of high in the tank yet not in too strong of water flow, they opened last night about a half an hour after acclimating them. The catus coral is placed high in somewhat of a flow area, do you think it should be placed in a different location, I don't want to bleach any of these corals out.

Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2003, 02:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Make sure you have plenty of air flow, thos lights get VERY hot, very quick.. I learned the hard way when I put a dual 96watt pc on my reef. It started drastically raising the temp. I had to order the stands to raise it 2.5 inches, removed the acrylic light cover and put a small clip on fan blowing thru. The lights are as cool as a cucumber now. My established corals freaked out also.. For the first couple of hours they were practically popping out out the sockets, they looked great. But then they started producing slimy air bubbles that were flowing everywhere in the tank and creating a scum on the surface. I came on here and was told by a few guys that I am sure are smarter than me, that I need to slowly acclimate them to the higher levels of light. I tuned off the light and sure enough everything went back to normal. Just a few observations, hopefully they are useful.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, yep, my husband is getting the fans tonight, I've been checking on it all day, seems to be doing fine. Boy do I know what you mean about hot, the ones we have in the 29 gallon, they are only 55w but yikes really goes up quickly and when you raise the lid to add more ventilation it makes the room hot. I can't wait for winter time again at least then I can save on the electric bill, the air conditioner is costing us a fortune! :|

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com