Is to much Calcium a Bad Thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK thank you for the simple answer. Now could you explain for me. Like how it gets high, How can I lower it, What happens when it is to high, ect... TIA

Calcium ions are calcium atoms that have a +2 charge . This means that they are looking for a date with ions that have a negative charge. The compounds used as buffering agent in your tank supply these ions and are your hydroxide ions ( OH)-.

Think about the hydroxide ions as best friends who never separate while on a date. When they are all hanging out in the tank together, its like a massive pick-up seen at a local club. The calcium ion has such attitude ( the +2) charge, that he thinks he can hook up with two girls at once ( OH -). He will hook up with 2 of these at once since +2 and -2 = 0 charge.

However, if there are more calcium ions than there are available OH- ions, then not all of the calciums get to hook up and are left looking for other dates. So the buffering capacity of the OH- ions disappears as the OH- ions become linked with the calcium ions .

Calcium ions will also play this dating game with carbonate ions . You need to be careful as to which compound you use to introduce the calcium ions. If calcium comes in with chlorine as calcium chloride ( a very common calcium additive sold at the LFS), when the calcium decides to hook up with the OH or carbonate ions, Chlorine is left behind dateless and very unhappy. Increased chlorine ions are not particulary a good thing to have either.

holy cow, if my chemistry teache would have explaned me everything with the dating methot, I would have had better grades:)

It's all about hooking up with something or going through a nasty divorce in Chemistry.

I've always tried to keep my Ca between 400 & 450. I would look at 500 as a bit too high. MHO.

yeah I figured Also I use spring water maybe I will mix up a bucket and see if it is high from the salt or water I use before it goes into the main tank

Back
Top Bottom