Is to much power bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

border324

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello i have a 55 gallon salt water reef tank. i would like to get a new wet dry filter! but i heard one time here that a person should turn there tank over 10times (i think reefrunner told me that)
now the filter that i am going to buy runs at 800gph rated for a 200 gallon fish tank. also i will be placing 2 maxi jet 1200 power heads in my tank also for a total of 1390 gph thats 25 times that my tank would turn over in 1 hr is that ok? i would like to buy a bigger tank one day.
sounds to much to me maybe? should i get the 600gph filter in stead?
what do you think?
thanks michael

well for starters you shouldnt have a wet dry for a reef tank. They're better for fish only. And from what ive read its good to turn over 10x the amount of you capacity so it looks like you have more than enough. Depends on what you want in your tank, some corals like strong current and some dont.

I agree with biotoxin about the wet/dry. You can buy a sump (or build one) for much less money. Wet/dry filters have a tendency to drive nitrates up and, if you have enough LR in the tank, you don't need the added biofiltration. JMHO. A sump is basically a wet/dry without the bio media.

i want to add a couple fish to my tank as well not just coral. i am thinking like clowns and some other reef friendly fish?
thanks for the input. its very usefull. and saved me money lol
thanks
michael

Back
Top Bottom