Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
everyone lets not make this a debate on whats better tap , or ro or ro/di i think he gets the point

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to DA fisherman
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
I work for a water municipality and wrote this article. It might help you to understand the problems with tap water in the reef.

Tap Water in the Saltwater Reef
+++++++1
didn't see this before lol. This sums it all up!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMHO, if you're wanting a reef tank, I think we can all agree that water is THE single most important thing in keeping an aquarium. lol Since it is literally the foundation of the reef tank (or any tank) it's well worth buying a RO/DI filter. And if that is too expensive maybe you should wait a while before starting a reef tank. I've seen some african cichlid tanks that rival reef tanks as far as color and personality go.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

i used to use distilled water but it gets annoying to keep running back and forth to the store so i bought an RO/DI unit the inicial fill up would be a thoug hand would take days to fill
Old 04-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think im just going to fill 5 gallon containers with distilled reverse osmosis water, the intial setup of 30 gallons will be a little pricey, but for PWC's it wont be a problem
Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It took me about 30 gallons to fill up my 36g when I first started. $4 for 5g at lfs. They "sell" 5g jugs to fill up the SW to bring home and then you can bring the jug back for store credit. I kept 2 jugs, one for SW to do PWC and one for topping off the tank with RO/DI.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Iv got a 50l/pd 3 stage system off eBay for £45, incoming water is 270ppm and I was getting 45ppm out, I used this water once and have had algae problems for a month, 2 water changes a week with ro/di at 16ppm from the lfs has sorted the problem.I'm now looking for a d/I unit to add onto the system, I really think your water should be the best you can get because it will save you money in the long run, sort cuts never work out don't take the risk,
Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 gallon jugs of distilled water at only $4 with a $10 on the jugs so not really expensive

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com