Isolation/Hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANATEEDIVE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone had experience with using an Eclipse system for an isolation tank? I have a newly setup 125gal s/w tank cycling right now. I have made the mistake before of not having an isolation tank but am short on space. Any comments?

I have an eclipce it was recomended by my lfs and some other sites I have the eclipse 2 with the bio wheel and so far so good for me but I am no expert I just got started with this hobby 3 weeks ago good luck

What is the capacity of that Eclipse system? Typically what is recommended for a QT set up is a 10-20 gallon set up. The eclipse system by itself is fine just as long as you follow the other recommendations for setting up a QT tank. There is quite a bit of information here on the topic. I would caution though that you should have a fully cycled display tank before move any livestock into it. Ideally, use some of the display tank to fill your QT tank. This will give you the benefit of having the same water chemistry for both - less stress for the fish. HTH 8)

Skip the Eclipse

Regardless of what kind of tank you opt for consider this. If you are medicating your fish, hence the reason their in the hospital tank :) , then you're most likely using medications that treat bacterial infections. If so, then your bio-filtration will be rendered useless since it will get killed along with the "bad" bacteria. A simpler and cheaper way to go is a glass tank with a sponge filter and a small pump. The sponge filter can be seeded with tank water -- assuming it's not contaminated -- and the only other thing you'll need is a heater. You can typically get all of these items for much less than the cost of an eclipse system.

Back
Top Bottom