Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It never ends for me.....

I must be a sucky SW tank owner because I still havent managed to get my Nitrates down after months. Some advice I got on here told me to do larger PWC (40-50%) until they were down... After I did that twice (a week apart) everything in my tank started to die. So I was like agh- and took my water to a very good (well I thought it was) LFS and they told me now I was having ammonia problems too. So my ammonia was .5 and my nitrates were 60. So the guy said use ammo-lock. When I used that my mushrooms all detached from the rocks and 80% died, then my anemones closed up for like 2 weeks. When I called back another guy told me that what I was told to do was wrong and use reef solutions additive to help the bacteria and stuff in my tank come back and no water changes for a month. Well now my Nitrates are 80 and my ammonia keeps going to .5 and higher and I can't seem to stabilize anything. My fish are okay that have been in there, but any new fish I've added has died in 24-48hrs. On top of that I have this weird wormy thing taking over my tank (asked about this on previous post). So can anyone help? Or should I just give up?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Do not give up!!! Some of the advice you recieved I do not totally agree with. I definitely agree with PWC`s but not 40-50%. I and others on this site suggest frequent 10-20% PWC`s. When you do extra large PWC`s it changes the chemical make up of your tank. When things are going wrong in the tank I always suggest PWC`s but 10-20 %. Your LFS suggested ammo lock for your tank. PWC`s are always suggested before adding chems to your tank. What we need to do now is find out where it is coming from. Are you overfeeding? Did you have a fish disapear and die? Do you have enough biological filtration in your tank? Find the source of the ammonia. Another thing all those added additives are junk and will foul up your tank. Again small frequent PWC`s are better. I cant help on the worm thing but Stick in there and you`ll do OK. I am a ambassador for PWC`s. As I said smaller frequent ones. I do a 15% PWC every week for 9 yrs now and if you look in my gallery you`ll see why I do it. Good results mean keep doing the same thing. Wish you the Best.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree , aquariums fresh or salt will do better with more frequent , small changes . Twice a week 10-20 % would be better than weekly 30-40 % .
Old 02-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I totally agree. One thing that I would like to add is that when you do your PWC mix your SW up the day before you are going to do the PWC. Put a small PH and a heater in the bucket or what ever you mix your water in. By doing this it will allow the salt to mix well and the water to get to temp. I use a 32g trash can to mix my water in and a 32g to hold my RO/DI water in. I try to keep at least 20-25g on hand at any time just in case.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see in your info that your using a bio-wheel. I've read online about people who've had nitrate problems when using the bio-wheel on tanks w/ a fair amount LR. Basically the bacteria on the LR can't keep up with that on the bio-wheel and the end result is increased nitrate. After you get the ammonia cleared up, I would remove the bio-wheel and see what happens. Feed the tank sparingly, and don't add any new fish for a couple weeks so the bacteria on the LR can catch up to the demands of the tank. To get rid of the current ammonia and nitrate, small but frequent PWC's work well as mentioned. I would aim for 20-25% daily for a few days in a row until things stabilize. Good luck
Old 02-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
One thing that I would like to add is that when you do your PWC mix your SW up the day before you are going to do the PWC.
Very good point. It's always best to wait at least 24hrs, I prefer a couple days or more, before using new saltwater. It is/can be toxic until thoroughly mixed.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with them I always wait 48 hrs before I add mine.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia or nitrates yet?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good point Rubikcube! If you aren't using RO/DI water that could be part of your problem.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

1st off DON'T GIVE UP!!!
Second slow down deep breath.
I would say get rid of the Bio wheel NitrAte factory , next do a small water change no more than 10 gallons each time and no more than maybe 2 times a week ..... Do check your water sourse for NitrAtes, Phosphates, and ammonia , if you can not get RO/DI water dont panic we use distilled and have had no problems (I could get RO/DI but I am not paying 3.50 a gallon !We rent so a unit is not gonna happen either...)For mixing salt water up what worked for me is mix the plain H20 for 24 hours on the 24 hour mark add your salt 24 hours later check your SPG , we never used a heater in ours but when I did a change on our nano I dripped it in at a rate of 4gtts per second through our filter where the heater is and that is where it would mix with tank water.At one point and time or another we have all hit a brick wall ...and felt like we were off. Now Never never never trust a LFS , get your kits and do your testing at home I have the aquarium pharmasutical kits and they are pretty easy to use , you may need to have them cross refrence your findings but that should be about it . They are there to make money bottom line they dont care if you are sold something that could damage your system . Most ammonia locks and such are fresh H20 only . You could try purigen , phosguard , or chemipure to help ya to settle things down a bit ...As for the bacteria to use I have use the biospera with eh results others swear by it ,dont get cycle this has been pinned as causing algea in salt water tanks .You may need to do a restart but I dont think that this is the case. Remember we all go through tough times at some point anyone who tells you other wise is a liar !I will be the first to say when I firs started I crashed my tank too and had listened to the LFS while it crashed !

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com