Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think she must've given up the idea!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dear Village

First and foremost, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I could not be more grateful for everyone's interest, advice and suggestions. I apologize for not responding earlier but I have some health issues which sometimes leaves me incapable of using the key board on my computer; but I read all of your posts and took your advice while adding on a twist of my own. So here is what I did!

Per your suggestions I bought him the books "The Marine Aquarium" and "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Wrapped those puppies up, slapped a big bow on them and said Happy Birthday to a "possible" future saltwater aquarist. So then I thought, well, it is kind of crappy to receive a gift that says "maybe you will get your gift in the future"; plus I thought, "well I could reasonably start him off with a fresh water tank to see how committed he would be to the reality of aquarium upkeep." Soooo......, I got him a nice wood grain finished 16 gallon tank with a nice wood grain stand to match. Per the fish guy's advice (at the store), I threw in the gravel, a rock/plant (fake) structure, a nifty keen castle, a really good filter and six marginally attractive goldfish. Topped it off with water treatment chemicals, fishy food and a handy dandy net. I know other things will be needed in the future such as a tank cleaner, therm, etc. but I decided those were things we could get later and shop for them together when and if we decide to add different fish to the tank.

[To be sung to the appropriate tune.]

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday Dear Raymond!
Here's some Fishy for You!

My husband was delighted that I had remembered his desire to be an aquarist and was thrilled to have the immediate gratification of a tank he could get up and running within a few hours. So as of late Monday night our nifty keen tank with our marginally attractive goldfish has been up and running and none of the fishys have died yet, which I take as a positive sign. Though I must admit I am some what concerned the fish advice guy (at the store) did not recomend adding a separate air supply to the tank, he said the uber filter he recommended would take care of it. Does that sound right to you guys? As strange as it sounds, I really don't want to watch my fish drown.

So anyway, thanks again for all of your help and the kindness you guys showed by reaching out to an unknown person. I will keep visiting the boards and learning the basics and beyond from ya'lls experience and wisdom.

Until then,
cyllk

Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. Read up on How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

2. a 16 gallon is not going to be large enough for 1 goldfish, let alone 6
(they can get over 10+ inches long)

3. Read Common mistakes when planning to start a new aquarium
Old 03-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dear Jdog

You are seriously damaging my calm. lol, just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water........

So does this mean I have to buy a hot tub koi pond for my small marginally attractive goldfish?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd return the goldfish and start with a fishless cycle, then get some small, peaceful, hardy fish to add gradually after the tank is cycled.

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, go the fishless cycle. I have found it gives me plenty of time to ask tons of questions and figure out what I want to do. Just to give you an idea, I started my 125 in Nov, and just last month I added my 1st three fish, two have since jumped. But I am still getting some other supplies and working my way to it.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com